Quoting Ancient Sources

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
monstordh

Quoting Ancient Sources

Post by monstordh »

I use Bookends primarily for religious research. I need help figuring out how to quote ancient sources such as the Talmud, Mishnah, etc. These sources do not use conventional page numbering. For instance, a common reference from the Talmud would be:

b.Shabbat 88b

The "b" at the beginning signifies the Babylonian Talmud (verses the Jerusalem Talmud) and the 88b is the reference (which is based on a page numbering system pretty unique to the Talmud).

Another example would be quoting from a teaching of Rebbe Nachman. It would appear something like this:

Likutey Moharan II, 84

In this reference, Likutey Moharan II is the work & volume, and 84 is the reference (I believe it is the section # in the book, rather than the page number).

Does anyone have any idea how I can input these sources so that my citations come out correctly when I do my document scan?
~darren

"You can live opposite of what you profess, but you cannot live opposite of what you believe." - Dallas Willard
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Quoting Ancient Sources

Post by Jon »

I'm not knowledgable about ancient sources, but if you have a "page equivalent" it can still be entered in the Pages field. Bookends will output it where the pages would normally go.

Jon
Sonny Software
monstordh

Post by monstordh »

Jon wrote:I'm not knowledgable about ancient sources, but if you have a "page equivalent" it can still be entered in the Pages field. Bookends will output it where the pages would normally go.

Jon
Sonny Software
Thanks for the reply, Jon - The problem with that, however, is that Bookends auto-formats that, and it wouldn't make sense to have something like "b.Shabbat p. 88b" That would actually be an incorrect citation. Unless there is a way to somehow mark references that need to drop the "p." Do you know of anything like that?
~darren

"You can live opposite of what you profess, but you cannot live opposite of what you believe." - Dallas Willard
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

One thing you could do is create a Type for Ancient Sources (assign one of the Unused Types to Ancient, for example). In the format, don't output "p." before the pages field.

Jon
Sonny Software
monstordh

Post by monstordh »

Jon wrote:One thing you could do is create a Type for Ancient Sources (assign one of the Unused Types to Ancient, for example). In the format, don't output "p." before the pages field.

Jon
Sonny Software
That's a great idea! However, I don't see a way to change the output for the fields. Can you give me some info on that?
~darren

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm not sure what you mean, but let's say the output you use now is

a. (d) t v, $p. $p.

In the new Ancient Type, you would use

a. (d) t v, p.

(so "p. " is not output before the content of the Pages field).

If you haven't already, please take the Bookends Tutorial.pdf to learn a bit about formatting, and know that the User Guide has all the information there is on how to create formats.

Jon
Sonny Software
monstordh

Post by monstordh »

I guess I need to grab that PDF, since I don't even know where to find those output options. Thanks!
~darren

monstordh

Post by monstordh »

Great suggestion, Jon! It worked perfectly! Now I just need to figure out why this reference in my bibliography is in a different font than the rest of the sources!
~darren

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

monstordh wrote:I guess I need to grab that PDF, since I don't even know where to find those output options. Thanks!
They are all available in the Bookends Help menu.

Jon
Sonny Software
monstordh

Post by monstordh »

Ok- I've got this working to a degree. However, I'm having some problems. How do I distinguish what is going to be put in my Citation, verses what will be put into my Bibliography? I can't seem to find anything that tells me about that. Any suggestions?
~darren

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

This has turned into a tech support issue, so please contact tech support and we'll continue this off-forum.

support@sonnysoftware.com

Jon
Sonny Software
monstordh

Post by monstordh »

Jon wrote:This has turned into a tech support issue, so please contact tech support and we'll continue this off-forum.

support@sonnysoftware.com

Jon
Sonny Software
Thanks. Just sent you an email.
~darren