How difficult would it be...? (Indexable notecards)

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
DeclanOB

How difficult would it be...? (Indexable notecards)

Post by DeclanOB »

I really have no idea what is involved, but I would be very glad if one day Bookends notecards came to indexable by Devonthink. I understand that it can't be done right now, so I'm just curious how difficult it would be to have this implemented.

Declan
Jon
Site Admin

Re: How difficult would it be...? (Indexable notecards)

Post by Jon »

I really don't know. I do know you couldn't index notecards themselves, but you possible could the reference the notecard belongs to. You do know that you can put hypertext links in DT that immediately take you to the corresponding reference in Bookends, right?

Jon
Sonny Software
DeclanOB

Post by DeclanOB »

Yes, I know that.
What I would like to do is go to a library with my little Bookends on Tap thingy, take notes on stuff, sync with Bookends on Mac and then have those notes available on Devonthink.
I know that I can take notes on my little Devonthink to Go thingy, but that means that my notes won't have the Bookends reference. Which would mean having to go and put those references in by hand.
It would just be a more comfortable workflow if I could start with notes made according to sources on Bookends on Tap>Bookends, and then go to Devonthink and figure out how they can be related to themes and so on, using replication or tags or whatever.

I half suspect that this can be done with Sente, but – you see – I'm not using Sente, I'm using Bookends.
I dare say that this is not an obscure use scenario.
Since Bookends on Tap promises to develop in various ways, I'm just imagining how I might use it. If what goes into the notes field in Bookends on Tap ends up as notecards on Bookends, and that were indexable by Devonthink, then I believe it would be a fine and good thing.

Thanks,

Declan
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

What goes into the notes field in BOT will be available in Bookends notecards. I don't know how DT indexes data, but I imagine if it is not in DT it must be in files (DT can't detect data in a Bookends database). Is that right? You can contact me off-forum, if you like, and we can discuss in more detail what DT actually is indexing, and see if it's possible with Bookends.

Jon
Sonny Software