Bookends On Tap

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Bookends On Tap

Post by Jon »

I really don't know why that would have any effect, although I'm happy it appeared to work for you. If anyone else has this experience, I'd like to hear about it.

Jon
Sonny Software
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

Before I buy and download BOT to my iPhone I want to know if it's possible to perform a Z39.50 internet search from within BOT, or are the searches limited to PubMed or Google Scholar? Sometimes I need to search for a specific book that I do not find with the help of Google Scholar, but instead I need to use a Z39.50 search directly from a specific University or Library.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

At this time, only PubMed and GS searches can be done in BOT. We're looking to add more. We haven't looked into adding z39.50 searches at the moment (it's much more complicated, because unlike the other searches, every university is configured differently). Of course z39.50 searches are supported in Bookends, and you can sync the results with BOT.

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

Adding the Library of Congress would be a great start! ;)

That would cover at least the majority of English language publications…
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's true, and certainly more approachable than a generic z39.50 solution.

Jon
Sonny Software
wdauer

Bookends On Tap

Post by wdauer »

My BE library on my Mac is a bit nested, with a folder with static groups in it, nested within another folder. In BOT on my phone, I can see the nested folders, but they appear empty - no sign of anything in them. (even though there clearly is on my mac). Anyone else notice this?
Serge

Post by Serge »

We'll need your library to reproduce the problem here.
Please zip and send it to bookendsontap@sonnysoftware.com
and we'll follow up off-forum.
Last edited by Serge on Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tole

Post by tole »

You can export pdfs from BOT to a pdf reader, mark it up, and send it back to Bookends. I believe that whether or not it replaces the existing attachment depends on whether the markup app renames it (if so, Bookends doesn't know it's the same attachment).
Bookends on Tap doen't show up in GoodReader's "Open in… Dialogue. How do I get my annotated attachment back to BOT?
Tom
Serge

Post by Serge »

Tom, please read this discussion on the Apple list:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2770383
gke

Post by gke »

Just finished my first day of library work and BOT lived up to expectations - a powerful tool. One thing I missed, was the "City" field when you manually enter a new reference - in my field (history) the place of publication is crucial bibliographic information and now I can only add it when I edit references already inserted, which makes one have to chance back and forth between editing and entering mode all the time.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thanks, but actually this belongs in the Bookends On Tap forum (this thread should be terminated now that there is a forum for BOT). Sorry to be a nuisance, but would you please start a new thread there? It's important that thread not be hijacked because it makes it difficult for people trying to learn from the forum postings to find the relevant information.

Thanks,

Jon
Sonny Software
gke

Post by gke »

Jon, I am at a loss where to post this, because in the other forum you just asked me to repost it here, at least that is what I thought......could you, please, give me complete fool-proof instructions where to post and discuss BOT? Sorry.....
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Sorry to be difficult. You posted before in the thread "Bookends On Tap Forum", which is a sticky that tells people what the forum is for. New threads should be started in the Bookends On Tap forum (note the small case "f" in forum). I agree the wording is confusing, so I changed the title of the sticky to "Using the Bookends On Tap forum" to make it more clear.

So, please go to the Bookends On tap forum and start a new thread (click New Topic) and our regular service will resume. :-)

Jon
Sonny Software