Turabian Help Request

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
deut3221

Turabian Help Request

Post by deut3221 »

I am trying to get the Turabian format to work correctly in Mellel or Word.

Turabian gives the following examples in the reference manual:

Footnote:
John Hope Franklin, George Washing Williams: A Biography (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1985), 54.

Bibliography:
Franklin, John Hope. George Washington Williams: A Biography. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

I am using the "Turabian footnote" format in Bookends. However, it always makes the footnotes and bibliography the same in Mellel, and it follows the Turabian Bibliography style.

Has anyone had any success using Turabian footnotes and the bibliography? I'd be most appreciative if someone could point the way.

Thank you very much!!
-steve
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Use the Turabian format when you scan and set it to use Turabian Footnote as the custom citation format (2nd tab of the Turabian format definition).

Jon
Sonny Software
deut3221

Post by deut3221 »

Yippieeeeeeeeee! I'm gaining. I'll play around with the different formating options now to see if I can create the Turabian styles for various sources.

If by chance someone has already created all of the Turabian styles and would like to share them, I'd be most appreciative and try to return the favor.

thanks!!
-steve
deut3221

Footnotes and Page Numbers

Post by deut3221 »

I can't quite figure out how to manually add page numbers in footnotes.

I want it to look like this: ..... (City: Publisher, Year), 36.

Options:
1) set up the footnote style so that it looks like this: (l: u, d) and then manually edit the reference by adding \, 36.\

2) set up the footnote style so that I use the feature on the "Bib & Document Options" tab called "Cited Pages." I am not sure how to use this feature, or if it is the preferred approach. The disadvantage with option 1 is that I always have to manually add a \.\ to get a period at the end of the reference.

If someone could point the way to the best approach, it would be a big help.

Thanks.
-steve
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Cited pages may be what you want, but the problem is that the page will appear *within* the parentheses. If you really want the page range outside of the parentheses, I'd suggest option 1 (there is a way to do it with cited pages, but it takes more preparation on your part for each footnote).

Jon
Sonny Software
deut3221

Post by deut3221 »

Thanks Jon. I'll stick with option #1.