Problems importing from ATLA hosts

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Doktor Markus

Problems importing from ATLA hosts

Post by Doktor Markus »

I started trying out BookEnds a numberof months ago, then got distracted with a heavy teaching and travelling load. Now I am back to researching and writing, and I am having some problems getting my information into BookEnds.

I do a search through my school's web browser access the FirstSearch ATLA database. I can mark records, then export them all as either Endnote, Refwork, or textfile. A file (with generic icon) is saved on my desktop named "DirecExport." But I cannot figure out any way to import this into BookEnds.

Of course, ideally I would use BookEnds access to ATLA, which works well for books, but journals appear as if they are books, journal article infor is missing, and the info is not parsed correctly into the BookEnds database.

Are there some techniques or setting I am missing? Other suggestions for an easy way to make this happen? I like the promise of BookEnds (and especially the ease of use and stability over Endnote!), but I am spending a lot of time trying to get things to work instead of researching and writing. I haven't even gotten to working with BookEnds' integration with Mellel.

Thanks for any help.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

These are really tech support questions, and any further discussion should be by direct emails to us (support@sonnysoftware.com).

Just a guess -- the direct export file may be in RIS format. Try importing it using that filter (drag and drop it on a Bookends database window with the Shift key held down to force Bookends to treat it as a TEXT file).

Jon
Sonny Software