Display original and recent year of citation

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
reltm

Display original and recent year of citation

Post by reltm »

I was wondering if there's a way for Bookends to create a bibliography and citation style that reads the date field with the original and the recent year of citation. So for instance, the bibliography would look like this:

Schmitt, Carl. [1932] 2007. The Concept of the Political: Expanded Edition. University Of Chicago Press.

If I enter [1932] 2007 in the Year field, it seems to just display the 1932 year. Is there a way to force it to display both? Adding quotes or something? Thank you!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Display original and recent year of citation

Post by Jon »

In the format definition, uncheck "Use year-only for date" in the Bibliography Options tab. You might want to read the section on formatting in the User Guide (Help menu), it has lots of valuable information on how to create/tweak formats.

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

I usually enter the original date of publication in the appropriate field (called "Orig Pub" and located in the "Additional Fields" tab) and then tell the format to output it if available. The format then usually looks something like this:

a {(u11/d)^(d)} …

works perfect for me :)
louko

Post by louko »

Hi there. I have a similar problem. I figured out how to get the original date in the bibliography using a similar system to what Ozean discribes so I get for instance Freud, S [1913] (2001) Totem and Taboo. London: Routledge. in the bibliography by having a [u1] (d) t. u2~ edn.~ l: u. in the formats manager.

However, I can't figure out how to get this to appear in the text itself. I would like something like this: "Within the field of psychology Sigmund Freud ([1913] 2001) in the early 20th century countered the idea that systems of taboo were restricted to ‘savage’ cultures…"

Any idea how I can do this?

Much appreciated.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I assume you're using a format with author-date citations. You'd have to create a custom citation format to achieve this. Please see APA 5th as an example.

Jon
Sonny Software