Easiest way to edit multiple fields?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Cassady

Easiest way to edit multiple fields?

Post by Cassady »

Hello all,

My library window currently shows Author/Date/Short Title (which I use for the abbreviated Journal-name field)/Journal.

Given that I need to manually enter the "short title" - what I'm doing currently is sorting my library by Journal. I was hoping I could then effect an "iTunes" selection, by selecting all the references of a particular journal, and entering the short title only once, to have that entry then automatically applied to all the others as well, in the same short title field.

I cannot seem to get this right. Is there a workaround that would allow me to enter the 'content' of one field as a once-off, and have it then applied to all the pre-selected list of references automagically?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Easiest way to edit multiple fields?

Post by Jon »

Did you look at the Global Change options?

Jon
Sonny Software
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

Jon wrote:Did you look at the Global Change options?

Jon
Sonny Software
Hi Jon,

I assumed the global change would affect the entire library - with one change? I.e. similar to a 'find & replace' on a macro-level?

In my case - I only want to add specific entries for specific references? Would Global Change work here too?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please see the user guide about the various Global Change options. They all let you modify the selected refs, the hits, or the entire library.

Jon
Sonny Software
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

Jon wrote:Please see the user guide about the various Global Change options. They all let you modify the selected refs, the hits, or the entire library.

Jon
Sonny Software
[Facepalm]

:oops: Thanks Jon - what's that they say about assumptions....

The "move field" and "clear source field thereafter" is a particularly useful subset of the above as well!