Pages 5.0

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
ozean

Pages 5.0

Post by ozean »

As I see, Pages still only supports Endnote from within – such a pity, seems I need to submit a new Enhancement Request again.

Dear fellow Bookends users, please do so too! Here is the link:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/pages.html

Other than that it seems that Apple has changed the .pages file format. Jon, is there anything regarding the Bookends – Pages interaction we need to be aware of?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Pages 5.0

Post by Jon »

Yes, Bookends will not work with Pages 5. I just got it myself this morning, so I have some investigating to do. But at the moment it looks like a brand new file format.

UPDATE: Bookends definitely will not work with Pages 5 files. The file format is new and undocumented. Until Apple releases detailed information about the file format and/or APIs that allow third party applications to access these files, it's highly unlikely that Bookends will ever work with Pages 5. Please submit feedback to Apple via the URLs provided in this thread if you'd like them to open up Pages 5 to independent developers.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

There is also a direct feedback in the new Pages menu Pages -> Provide Pages Feedback.

Jon
Sonny Software
swilcox

Post by swilcox »

I posted the following in the Pages support page:

I'm very disappointed with the new Pages 5. You've removed AppleScript support, which means that the reference manager I use, Bookends -- and this is a product that has supported Apple for decades and is used by researchers in universities, medical schools, and major federal researcher centers -- no longer works with Pages. In addition, you've removed other efficiency features. For example, you no longer have shortcut keys for styles, nor even menu items for applying styles so that I can work around this loss of productivity with a shortcut utility such as KeyboardMaestro.

For this reason, I can no longer use Pages for my academic writing and publishing. I'm hearing the same negative reaction from many of my colleagues and co-workers around the world who have relied on Pages as a substitute for Word (and Bookends as a substitute for Endnote).

This is a move backwards. Disappointing, Apple.
frvs

Post by frvs »

Based on swilcox, here is what I posted on the Pages support page:
------------------------------
I'm very disappointed with the new Pages 5. You've removed AppleScript support, which means that the reference manager I use, Bookends -- and this is a product I use with pleasure and profit ever since I changed to Mac computers in 2003 -- no longer works with Pages.

In addition, you've removed other indispensable features. For example, the new Find/replace feature is a bad joke; Pages does not support RTF anymore; and there is no document overview anymore. In fact, you you have wiped out most functions needed for serious work in your rush to make the OS product a replica of the iOS one. This leaves people who need a decent word processor for professional use in a quandary.

For this reason, I can no longer use Pages for my academic writing and publishing. I'm hearing the same negative reaction from many of my colleagues and co-workers around the world.

By all means, keep the new Pages for iCloud. But please continue supporting Pages 4x into the future, don't force a throng of dedicated professional customers back into the fold of MS Word.
------------------------

Of course, the question is that now Page 5 (Pages for iCloud, that is how it should be named) is not good enough for professional use. (See, e.g., this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/54 ... 0&tstart=0). For the time being, Pages 4x is still fully functional, thank god, and it works well with Bookends. But inevitably, one will have to look for alternatives. Now Mellel looks to me more promising than it has in years...
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

BTW, you can export from Pages 5 in Pages '09 format. So you can still scan documents you create with the free Mavericks version. There's just one and extra step.

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

Jon wrote:There is also a direct feedback for Pages 4.3 (I believe that's the official numbering)
Where do you get 4.3 as a version number? I can only find 5.0

(Other than that: thanks for the feedback examples! Not that I would hope for a fast change here, but at least we should try…)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-10-25 at 07.59.02.png
Screen Shot 2013-10-25 at 07.59.02.png (77.37 KiB) Viewed 14300 times
Screen Shot 2013-10-25 at 07.58.46.png
Screen Shot 2013-10-25 at 07.58.46.png (114.51 KiB) Viewed 14300 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I believe it was from the Apple developers web site -- it referred to Pages 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3. Perhaps I misunderstood those to mean '08, '09, and the new Mavericks version.

Jon
Sonny Software
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

The last version of Pages '09 is the same as Pages version 4.3 and '13 is the same as 5.0.

I really hope Apple stop fooling around and produce real working tools instead of this new iToys '13. I'm glad I'm not depending on Pages (have been using Mellel for years), but it's a pity that Apple also destroyed Keynote and Numbers, both of which I use a lot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1d1ulsqcptf5sr9/Pages4.3.jpg
frvs

Post by frvs »

There is an official road map for Pages et alii here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6049?view ... cale=en_US. Basically, they are going to gradually restore some functionality. Whether this will be enough for Pages 5 to become a useful word processor once again is anyone's guess. But, at least, they officially recommend the use of Pages 09 in the meantime, which suggests Apple is not withdrawing support for Pages 09 in the near future.
raymond

Post by raymond »

Pages 5 is the first version of pages supporting r2L writing,
Pages 5 doesn't support RTF, so it can't open Mellel fils.
Pages 9 with all its vesion doesn't support Hebrew etc so can't be used when one wish to utilse BE and pages.
So, the circle is closed
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I believe that I've come up with a solution for those who want to use Pages 5 with Bookends. You'll be able to scan the Open Apple Pages Document (Biblio menu), the only difference with Pages 4.3 being that after the scan you'll have to do a Command-V to paste in the bibliography where you want it (it will be in the clipboard for you). If you want to try a beta of Bookends 12.0.7 to test this, please contact me directly at support@sonnysoftware.com (first come first served, I only plan to let the first 5 or so users try this to be sure that it works).

Jon
Sonny Software
frvs

Post by frvs »

Jon, you are a bright man! You are also ahead of the Sente developers on this, it seems. Kudos!
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Thank You for this discussion.

I use pages 5.0 and would be happy if there might be a more compatible version of both in the future.

I have sent a message to apple too.

Saluti Sandro
raymond

Post by raymond »

You may wish to update your Pages to 5.1 version. You may have better results.