What do people think of the interface in 8.1?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
odysseus

What do people think of the interface in 8.1?

Post by odysseus »

It is starting to look like an OS X app -- sort of. Shouldn't the gear symbol be more to the left? Why can't I rearrange the columns by dragging?

Why are there all those shared libraries in the Bookends folder? Most OS X apps I know of consist of a single file. And Bookends isn't exactly quick to launch, either.
jem

Re: What do people think of the interface in 8.1?

Post by jem »

odysseus wrote:Why are there all those shared libraries in the Bookends folder? Most OS X apps I know of consist of a single file.
Most of them belongs to Valentina, the database that Bookends use.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: What do people think of the interface in 8.1?

Post by Jon »

odysseus wrote:It is starting to look like an OS X app -- sort of. Shouldn't the gear symbol be more to the left? Why can't I rearrange the columns by dragging?
Feel free to send me an image mock-up of how you think the icons should be arranged.

You can't drag them, but you can rearrange the order in Preferences.
Why are there all those shared libraries in the Bookends folder? Most OS X apps I know of consist of a single file. And Bookends isn't exactly quick to launch, either.
Bookends isn't a bundle, yet, for technical reasons. That will probably change in the future.

As for launch speed, if you have a large db, try increasing db cache (Preferences). And if it is a *really* large db, have Bookends open in the Reference view to speed this up.

Jon
Sonny Software
spd

Post by spd »

I love the side drawer! Nice use of space, allowing more vertical range for lists. Keep up the great work Jon. Looking forward to the release of 8.1.