Question regarding the "right pane."

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
corrado33

Question regarding the "right pane."

Post by corrado33 »

Why is "rich text" allowed in the right pane? I'm talking about the pane that opens when you double click on a reference. Every once in a while I'll have to copy and paste the title some somewhere and it'll be in a really weird font that without going into the fonts pane, it's a pain to change it. Is there a reason rich text is allowed in those boxes?

The only thing I can think of is for greek symbols or similar.

I personally find it a bit annoying, even though I know it doesn't affect any bibliographic output. I generally don't bother to change it however, is there possibly a "make all plain text" option?
jb

Re: Question regarding the "right pane."

Post by jb »

This won't help with references already populated with text in a font/size you don't want, but it will allow you to avoid this problem in the future:

Open Preferences
Choose the Refs tab

In lower right choose
Assign ⌘-V to Paste and Match Style

(I guess you have yours set to Paste)

Cheers
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

We allow styled text because, why not? You may want to have italicized words (common in science). You may want to color or underline text in Notes.

But as jb pointed out, if you don't want it assign Command-V to Paste and Match Style (which I believe is the default).

As for retroactively removing any styles you pasted in, use Global Change -> Restore Default Font and Styles to the whole database.

Jon
Sonny Software
corrado33

Post by corrado33 »

Again, a problem already thought of and fixed by the devs. Thank you for the answers.

However, I do have a follow up question. You said that it's allowed because of Italicized words or what not (For example in-situ) but these changes don't affect the bibliographic output do they?

I've answered my own question. They DO affect bibliographic output. Useful for words that are generally italicized, but dangerous if something gets pasted in bold (and you don't notice.)

In all honesty though, I so rarely paste info into the pane that it's not a big deal. It was more of an annoyance for me because some of the titles got pasted in a HUGE font (30-40 pt) and I couldn't read the entire title in the box.

The problem I most often run into when automatically importing references is <sub> for subscripts, I go in manually and change them to "|" so that the subscripts will show up correctly. Again, not a huge deal. Just requires a bit of monitoring of newly imported references.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please read both responses to your original post carefully. All you need to do is assign Command-V to the Edit menu Paste and Match Style in Bookends preferences. One pop-up selection and you're done. *That's* how do deal with this.

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. We also added the ability a few releases ago to right-click on a text field with styled text and have Bookends remove the styled info.