Issue with importing certain PDF references

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Yodalogger

Issue with importing certain PDF references

Post by Yodalogger »

Occasionally when I import a PDF from a journal, there may be a fragment from the previous article on the first page which contains the DOI for the previous article. When I import this pdf Bookends then autocompletes information in the reference using that DOI (i.e from the preceding article) rather than the appropriate DOI. So far, I've been typing in the appropriate DOI manually and autocompleting after that.
Has anyone come across this and devised a method to have Bookends select the correct DOI from the PDF?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Issue with importing certain PDF references

Post by Jon »

Bookends can't tell that the doi does or not correspond to the correct paper (if it could tell it wouldn't need the doi). It grabs the first doi it finds. If Bookends gets the wrong metadata, just type the correct doi in the DOI field for the reference and then do a Refs -> Autofill From Internet.

Jon
Sonny Software
Yodalogger

Re: Issue with importing certain PDF references

Post by Yodalogger »

That's what I figured, maybe we can get the journals to include a cover page or just the article rather than a direct reproduction of the paper article copy when one downloads pdfs.