The Bookends Guide to the SBL format

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
Jon
Site Admin

The Bookends Guide to the SBL format

Post by Jon »

The Bookends Guide to the SBL format, created and maintained by Danny Zacharias, includes Bookends formatting files that conform to the SBL Handbook of Style (Hendrickson, 1999) and a PDF guide that details how users need to configure Bookends fields to accommodate SBL formatting.

You can download the Bookends Guide to the SBL format here:

[removed, see below]

Thanks to Danny Zacharias for this valuable tool.

Jon
Sonny Software
tomtom

Re: The Bookends Guide to the SBL format

Post by tomtom »

Danny's description looks very promising to me. BUT there is a little problem. His package does contain 4 files (3 formatting files + a pdf with instructions). The instructions say that he delivers a preference file + the .plist so that his preference customizations must not be made manually. Both files are missing. Could someone please help me out. The formattings look really promising for my needs. It would be a pity to make the long list of customizations just for testing the formattings.

Yours,
Tom
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

One of our users has kindly provided me with a copy of the SBL format the works with Bookends 12. I've uploaded this to our ftp site. Bookends 11 and earlier users should use the version linked to above.

[link removed -- obsolete]

Jon
Sonny Software
monstordh

Post by monstordh »

I'm looking for the SBL format for Bookends 11. It looks like it was in the original post, but has been removed. Anyone know where I can get this?
~darren

"You can live opposite of what you profess, but you cannot live opposite of what you believe." - Dallas Willard
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I think I have the old version around somewhere. Write to tech support and I'll send you what I have.

Jon
Sonny Software
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hello, has anyone updated the SBL format file?
Looks like it is years old, and needs some more work.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Juan Carlos Ossandón has updated the SBL format to the second edition (2014) of their Handbook of Style, and has kindly submitted it for anyone to use. It can be obtained from our anonymous ftp site

ftp://ftp.sonnysoftware.com/anon_ftp/pub/Formats/

where it is uploaded with the name

SBL Second Edition .zip

Jon
Sonny Software
pigpuddle

Post by pigpuddle »

Jon wrote:Juan Carlos Ossandón has updated the SBL format to the second edition (2014) of their Handbook of Style, and has kindly submitted it for anyone to use. It can be obtained from our anonymous ftp site

ftp://ftp.sonnysoftware.com/anon_ftp/pub/Formats/

where it is uploaded with the name

SBL Second Edition .zip

Jon
Sonny Software

Jon,

I need to get ahold of this new SBL formatting, but it looks like the ftp server is down (or the link is just incorrect). Is there another way I can get the file?
northparker

Post by northparker »

Dear Jon,

The FTP site does not contain SBL Second Edition anymore and the link you have provided does not work.

Could you help me out, please? I would not like to create the format from scratch.

Best,

Markus
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Dropbox no longer allows direct links. Try this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8x4ubmf2gqghc ... n.zip?dl=0

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. I'll upload to the FTP site, too.
northparker

Post by northparker »

Thanks! Got it!
cipri7

Post by cipri7 »

Hello,

Does anyone happen to know if the SBL Second Edition formats were intended to have a non-English style of quotation marks- such as this "angle quote" style: «

Just wondering if I need to go into the Formats Manager and revise those, or if something else whacky is going on in my version.

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's probably due to a setting in your preferences, not the format. Check the setting in Scan & Bib -> Bibliographies and custom citations -> Smart quotes.

Jon
Sonny Software
cipri7

Post by cipri7 »

Thanks, Jon. The preferences setting you mentioned was/is set for "smart quotes" and has "English" selected. I have the desired quote marks in other formats.

In my "Formats" for the SBL Second Edition, the Bibliography field order looks like this:
a, «t.» $$ j v$/$i` `(d): p–.

The result looks like this:
Nicholson, Nigel, «Cultural Studies, Oral Tradition, and the Promise of Intertextuality.» American Journal of Philology 134/1 (2013): 9–21.

Should be:
Nicholson, Nigel, "Cultural Studies, Oral Tradition, and the Promise of Intertextuality." American Journal of Philology 134/1 (2013): 9–21.

If I change the appropriate characters for the quotation to the English language version by modifying the characters in the format manager, it then shows correctly. That is why I was wondering if the format created for the SBL Second Edition had been created with the different style quotation marks.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You're right, it was. We didn't create this format. But as you found, it's easy enough to edit. Perhaps others who deal with SBL can comment, too.

Jon
Sonny Software