Watch Folder

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
drsoram

Watch Folder

Post by drsoram »

Jon

I installed the 12.5.5. update and BE is not seeing my watch folder which is on my external drive. I have pointed the FILE --import from watch folder to the correct folder on that drive but it is not pulling my pdfs that in that folder into the BE program

Your recommendation appreciated
Thanks
Soram
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Watch Folder

Post by Jon »

I'll take a look, but it may not work with external drives.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I can't reproduce this problem. I tried two different locations for the watch folder: (1) a thumb drive, and (2) a networked server. In both cases a pdf I dropped into the folder was imported.

Note that with the new implementation of the watch folder Bookends will not be notified of any pdfs already in the watch folder when it is configured. It will only recognize files when they are added to the folder.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

For anyone with this issue (watch folder not working when it's not on the startup disk), I've just uploaded a silent update to 12.5.5 that should fix this problem (May 19, 8 PM EDT).

Jon
Sonny Software
drsoram

Post by drsoram »

Thanks Jon

I deleted the previous bookends and downloaded and installed the new 12.5.5 from your downloads page. But my watch folder is not getting pulled into the database...Any other recommendations?

Thanks
Soram
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You should contact tech support.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

For anyone following this thread, the watch folder was working properly. The issue was that there were pre-existing files in the folder when watching was initiated, and those were ignored. That is the correct behavior (and what allows one watch folder to be shared by many users). Files are only noticed when they are added to the folder.

Jon
Sonny Software
claudojapon

Post by claudojapon »

Hi everyone

In my case, the watch folder stopped working (= files who were no longer imported just stayed inside the folder) after I installed 12.5.5
I tried to erase the watch folder and to reinstal it but then I just could not get the new watch folder to appear on the desktop.
I am stuck.

Claudojapon
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends doesn't create the watch folder, you do. In the Finder, create a new folder. Then in Bookends Watch Folder -> Configure. select that folder. Now Bookends will watch it for new additions.

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. You can actually create the watch folder in Bookends by clicking the Configure -> New Folder button. But the point stands that the watch folder is just a normal Finder folder that you point Bookends to.
claudojapon

Post by claudojapon »

Thank you Jon

Indeed. I created the folder. It was aknowledge and files were properly integrated to bookends.
With one recuring problem : the fact that Google does not allow more that a douzaine of new article per 30 hours or so and I just can't find any other way to get the files to be automaticaly - and even manualy - indexed in bookends. Is there a forum where I could get some help or precise tutorial in order to access french and japanese libraries ?

Thank you

Claudojapon
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If the watch folder is working properly, please start another thread if you have another question. Few will see your issue if it's buried in a thread on watch folders.

If you're saying that GS has a limit on the number of downloads you can make each day, it's true. But I think it's more than a few dozen (unless they're done all at once). No one actually knows the algorithm they use.

As for French or Japanese libraries, if they have z39.50 servers you can search and download from them. How import filters are configured for that is detailed in the User Guide (Help menu), and I can help with that too if you contact tech support. You can't get PDFs this way, that would require using Bookends browser (or perhaps your regular browser) and downloading them.

Jon
Sonny Software