import from Citavi

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
pharaoh

import from Citavi

Post by pharaoh »

Dear Jon,
I have searched the forum for an answer but without avail. What is the best way to import from Citavi into Bookends?
I tried RIS format but many of the original fields were missing. While I understand that the PDFS can be attached again, at the moment I am more concerned about the simple importing procedure.

All the best,

Rob
Jon
Site Admin

Re: import from Citavi

Post by Jon »

I don't know much about Citavi, and can't even try it (I don't have a PC). If you can create your own export format, or tweak their RIS export, then you can include the fields they leave out. Or you can contact their tech support and ask for assistance. You can include me on their replies if you like and I can work with them on issues such as PDFs if necessary.

Jon
Sonny Software
pharaoh

Post by pharaoh »

Dear Jon,
It is true their RIS format is far from perfect. I have more success to import through BibTex import, but I lose the original references in Crossref (e.g. a contribution in an edited book becomes an independent reference, with the title of the edited book pasted into the title of the contribution).
I may try to play a bit more with it. Citavi has a Biblatex export, which led Bookends to crash. I report it here for your information, and I am trying again and I will post the eventual error message to technical support.
Is Biblatex import supported in Bookends, as I cannot see it in the import filter/

Thanks,

Rob
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Biblatex is not supported. Make sure that there is a corresponding tag for each item in the BibTeX file exported from Citavi. Many sources use their own field names, which the Bookends filter won't recognize. You can edit the Bookends BibTeX filter, though, and have it import any field that Citavi exports.

Jon
Sonny Software
Nhaps

Post by Nhaps »

I use BE to output a bib file in BibTeX format, which I then use it to compile in LaTeX plus BibLaTeX. So BibLaTeX can use BE's BibTeX without a problem.