Truncated text in Bibtext import

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
martinjp

Truncated text in Bibtext import

Post by martinjp »

I am importing some references in bibtext format via the clipboard. The import appears to truncate text in the Abstract field. For example:

Here is the bibtext on the clipboard, followed by the text in the Abstract field:

@article {Cicourel:1996-01-01T00:00:00:0929-0907:221,
author = "Cicourel, Aaron V.",
title = "Ecological validity and 'white room effects': The interaction of cognitive and cultural models in the pragmatic analysis of elicited narratives from children",
journal = "Pragmatics & Cognition",
volume = "4",
number = "2",
year = "1996-01-01T00:00:00",
abstract = "Controlled elicitation of linguistic and psycholinguistic experimental data facilitate strong inferences about phonological, syntactic, semantic and pragmatic structures and functions, yet neglect the ecological validity of responses. Ecological validity in this paper refers to whether data gathered under controlled conditions are commensurate with routine problem solving and language use in natural settings. All methods produce "white room" effects that compromise data gathering and analysis. Unexamined folk knowledge and experiences also guide the investigator s interpretation of data from field research, laboratories, testing sessions, and target sentences. Story recall data from children in a combined second-third grade classroom and their narrative responses to cartoons without sound are used to illustrate ecological validity issues. The child's spontaneous, imaginative narratives about the story and cartoons resemble adult folk theory, and their semantic content reveal sociocultural knowledge essential for understanding subjects ' reasoning and information processing skills.",
pages = "221-264",
url = "http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/j ... 2/art00003",
doi = "doi:10.1075/pc.4.2.04cic"
}

Here is the text in the Abstract field:

Controlled elicitation of linguistic and psycholinguistic experimental data facilitate strong inferences about phonological, syntactic, semantic and pragmatic structures and functions, yet neglect the ecological validity of responses. Ecological validity in this paper refers to whether data gathered under controlled conditions are commensurate with routine problem solving and language use in natural settings. All methods produce "white room
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Truncated text in Bibtext import

Post by Jon »

I'm no BibTeX guru, but I think the BibTeX output is incorrect -- the internal quote marks should be escaped. That's what's fooling Bookends. In any case, I've worked around this case, code that will be in the next update.

Jon
Sonny Software
martinjp

Re: Truncated text in Bibtext import

Post by martinjp »

Makes sense; I suppose after 'white room' there is a close-double quotes that is treated as the end of the field.

Thanks!