Bookends sync

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Yodalogger

Bookends sync

Post by Yodalogger »

First, Bookends is fantastic but I'm preaching to the choir here.
I wanted to know opinions on syncing and cloud storage with Bookends.
For example, my current setup is to keep my bookends library and attachments folder in Dropbox. For synchronization purposes between my three computers things have worked out well without issues but now that the library is getting larger I notice some minor lag when adding references. I wonder if this will worsen as the library grows.
The real question is whether keeping the library file in dropbox vs. syncing to a remote library (either on dropbox or icloud) has any impact on performance or if is all the same. Also, I wonder if people have had library corruption issues with either of these approaches.
Thoughts?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Bookends sync

Post by Jon »

Since the db is on the local HD there should be no delay because it's in the Dropbox folder (my understanding is that it won't be synced with each small change). So if things are getting slower, it may be the size of the db. If it's > 10K references you can increase the database cache in preferences (say to 15 MB). Or it may be something else.

Dropbox sync generally works well, but remember to close your library or quit Bookends when you leave the machine. If you don't I've had a few reports of Dropbox conflict errors.

FWIW, changes are coming to sync that will make the method you're using now obsolete.

Jon
Sonny Software
Yodalogger

Post by Yodalogger »

Sweet sync changes!
I will try changing the db cache and see how it goes, like I said not really a huge issue for me just something I had noticed
iandol

Post by iandol »

Dropbox sync of database and refs is amazingly stable and robust for me (<10000 refs though), and even if I ever got a sync conflict (I have with other programs, not BE), then using Dropbox versions and it is trivial to revert.

Personally I won't need the new Sync mechanism, though I think lots of users who don't use Dropbox will. I think I would love something like Bookends Server, but cloud based (like Endnote, Sente, Zotero etc.), so I can always share my latest literature with collaborators no matter if my machine is on or off.