Newbie help with Bookends browser, JSTOR and university logins

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Lyriel

Newbie help with Bookends browser, JSTOR and university logins

Post by Lyriel »

Hello,

I'm very new to Bookends and I'm working my way through the User Guide having read the tutorial.

I have a few questions about university logins (and what I'm getting wrong) can anyone help with:

1. My university (Durham, UK) uses EZProxy and the URL for Durham http://ezphost.dur.ac.uk/login?url=$@
I've added this under Preferences > Internet > Use EZProxy with Bookends browser, but should I change the "$" to a "%" as the user guide says the final two terminal characters in an EZProxy URL should be "%@".

2. I'm having trouble with JSTOR. If I find a reference on JSTOR (using the bookends browser) I seem to have to re-login to JSTOR every time to download the pdf, and so far Bookends has grabbed the metadata, but not been able to attach the pdf. What am I doing wrong? I realise it's me and not Bookends, but if I understand the capabilities of Bookends correctly there should be a way of storing my university authentication details and then JSTOR will know that I have access to the full PDFs and let me import+attach the pdf as well as grab the metadata?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Newbie help with Bookends browser, JSTOR and university logins

Post by Jon »

1. Yes, change the $ to %.

2. Bookends won't store you authentication data between uses. As far as the PDF goes, I'll take a look. They often break the ability of Bookends to locate metadata and details by changing their web site.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

JSTOR broke book parsing, which I'll restore in the next update. Also for some journals.

As for the PDF, they've made it more difficult to bypass the acceptance of copyright terms. HOWEVER, you should be able to permanently accept the terms by logging into your JSTOR account. Please do that and report back if it works.

Jon
Sonny Software
Lyriel

Post by Lyriel »

Jon,

Thank you so much for your responses.

I've created a JSTOR personal account (I'd always just used my anonymous institutional login) and I've accepted the JSTOR terms and conditions and tested a few journals. So far everything seems to be working that you think should be working Jon!

Thanks again,
Sarah