Citation downloads for Bookends

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
iandol

Citation downloads for Bookends

Post by iandol »

This is a minor point, but many journals web pages in the biological sciences at least, contain download buttons specific for Bookends, which is great. An example:

http://cercor.oxfordjournals.org/citmgr ... 3Bbhw168v1

By default however the Bookends specific button downloads RIS format which Bookends does not completely support. The abstract is prefixed with "N2", however Bookends only includes the "AB" prefix for the abstract. This is very easy to fix by the user of course, but i wondered whether it would be good to include both AB and N2 in the import filter for better support by default.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Citation downloads for Bookends

Post by Jon »

Bookends now places N2 in notes, which I think is more correct. Actually, you might write to the publisher and suggest that they change their output to AB. Of course this is a trivial change for me to make in the distributed RIS filter. Does anyone object if I do?

Jon
Sonny Software
iandol

Post by iandol »

I've written to the publisher[1], though I suspect this is some general software backend as IIRC I've seen several different journals with the same citation menu and resultant N2 holding the abstract...

[1] http://cercor.oxfordjournals.org/feedback
iandol

Post by iandol »

I never got a reply. This backend system has now made its way all the way to Science:

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/354/6319/1587

And it is still exporting Bookends-specific RIS using n2 for the significance / abstract...

Code: Select all

TY  - JOUR
T1  - Active cortical dendrites modulate perception
JF  - Science
JO  - Science
SP  - 1587
LP  - 1590
M3  - 10.1126/science.aah6066
VL  - 354
IS  - 6319
AU  - Takahashi, Naoya
AU  - Oertner, Thomas G.
AU  - Hegemann, Peter
AU  - Larkum, Matthew E.
Y1  - 2016/12/22
UR  - http://science.sciencemag.org/content/354/6319/1587.abstract
N2  - What determines the detection of a sensory stimulus? To address this question, Takahashi et al. combined in vivo two-photon imaging, electrophysiology, optogenetics, and behavioral analysis in a study of mice. Calcium signals in apical dendrites of pyramidal neurons in the somatosensory cortex controlled the perceptual threshold of the mice's whiskers. Strong reduction of dendritic calcium signaling impaired the perceptual detection threshold so that an identical stimulus could no longer be noticed.Science, this issue p. 1587There is as yet no consensus concerning the neural basis of perception and how it operates at a mechanistic level. We found that Ca2+ activity in the apical dendrites of a subset of layer 5 (L5) pyramidal neurons in primary somatosensory cortex (S1) in mice is correlated with the threshold for perceptual detection of whisker deflections. Manipulating the activity of apical dendrites shifted the perceptual threshold, demonstrating that an active dendritic mechanism is causally linked to perceptual detection.
ER  - 
(as a minor aside, it is also exporting HTML encoded entities like ' for ' — not sure whether this is valid or invalid?)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I just checked and the RIS filter we ship places N2 in Abstract. If you don't see this you're probably using a customized RIS filter.

Jon
Sonny Software
iandol

Post by iandol »

Hi Jon, OK that's great, I had customised my RIS filter myself which is why I didn't notice you had now changed it. 8)