Synchronization options

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
bvz

Synchronization options

Post by bvz »

Jon, I really like being able to attach files to individual references, but I am starting to have trouble keeping track of references in different lists and of their attachments. The problem is that I (and probably many other Bookends users) work on different computers at home and at work. Would you consider offering a way to link attachments to specific references so that when a reference is transferred from one list to another and one computer to another the attachment automatically comes along?

I have also found browser-based citation extractors like Connotea pretty useful. Perhaps a similar approach could be used to add citations directly to Bookends?
jem

Re: Synchronization options

Post by jem »

bvz wrote:Jon, I really like being able to attach files to individual references, but I am starting to have trouble keeping track of references in different lists and of their attachments. The problem is that I (and probably many other Bookends users) work on different computers at home and at work. Would you consider offering a way to link attachments to specific references so that when a reference is transferred from one list to another and one computer to another the attachment automatically comes along?

I have also found browser-based citation extractors like Connotea pretty useful. Perhaps a similar approach could be used to add citations directly to Bookends?
An alternative might be to use a program that syncronizes the data againt a server, either using something Subversion (or CVS) which will give you version control also or a plain file server and some syncronization software like ChronoSync.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You mean the attachment link, or the attached file itself?

If the former -- if you use the default attachments folder on both computers, the link should work on both. If you do NOT use the default attachments folder, the link will still work as long as the file is in a folder that has been used for other attachments (i.e. Bookends knows it is in a folder to search through when looking for attachments).

If the latter -- you need to copy the file to the other computer. One thing that may make this a bit easier -- if you right-click on the name of an attachment in the keywords field, Bookends will offer to reveal it in the Finder.

Jon
Sonny Software