When was Bookends first released?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
rickl

When was Bookends first released?

Post by rickl »

Hi,

I was wondering how long Bookends has been in existence? I'm writing an article in which I want to make reference to the history of the application. I have in mind a sentence along these lines:

Bookends, a single-developer application that is renowned for its frequent updates and excellent support, has been in continuous development since _________.

Thanks for any help,
Rick
Jon
Site Admin

Re: When was Bookends first released?

Post by Jon »

Good question. The first release was in 1983, written for the Apple II+ (it required a floppy disk drive), written in 6502 machine language and published by Sensible Software. It was contemporaneous with Reference Manager on the PC (plus or minus a few months). AFAIK, they were the first two real reference managers written for "microcomputers".

Jon
Sonny Software
rickl

Post by rickl »

Wow, I had never dreamt it had quite such a long history. Thanks very much for the info.

Rick
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

wow, this bad boy has been busting around for a longer time, then :P . Trust established! :D
Rocky Vega

Post by Rocky Vega »

Quite amazing that Bookends has been developed since 1983, it is older than Photoshop, which is the oldest software I know off which is still beeing developed (besides Bookends).
joao

Post by joao »

Quite amazing that Bookends was published by Sensible Software and written in Assembly. I miss those days. Why no Amiga version?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I was an Apple guy from the beginning. :-)