Scrivener, Bookends & LaTeX

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
kbecker87

Scrivener, Bookends & LaTeX

Post by kbecker87 »

Hi there!

I need some assistance =)

Right now I write in Scrivener, use Bookends as my bibliographic Software and compile to LaTeX via MMD.
Everythings works quite well, i’ve set up a automatic replacement in Scrivener to bypass Bookends outputting with a backslash (see further down, MMD doenst like that).

What does not work for me is Authors with a name affix (Peter van Pan, Guido de Bellis or Nick to Bunte) – those people would get sorted with by the second part of their surname, e.g. under P instead of V, B instead of D and B instead of T. In LaTeX you would simply use {} around what should stay together, but if I do this, my Bookends Library gets messed up because all Authors with a { are sorted side by side. Also, if an article doesn’t have an Author i’d like to use o. A. - when I put {o. A.} in Bookends, it outputs my .bib file as follows:

author = {A.}, {o.},
instead of
author = {o. A.},

Also, when I enter a citiation from Scrivener by pressing cmd + y I’d love to output Bookends something like
[PAGENUMBER][#CITEKEY;]
- without a pagenumer I, as I said before, get the output of
[\#CITEKEY;]
which I automatically replace to be [#Citekey;]

But if I input a pagenumber, it is
[\#CITEKEY;@PAGENUMER]

any idea how to change this behaviour?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Scrivener, Bookends & LaTeX

Post by Jon »

1. In Bookends preferences you can tell Bookends to ignore certain words (like van) when sorting an author name, and in the format you use tick the box that tells Bookends to use this list.

2. Terminate institutional (or non-name names) with a comma: o. A.,

3. I honestly don't have any idea what you're after. Start a new thread (there are too many issues in this post) and please give a real example of what you want.

Jon
Sonny Software
Nhaps

Post by Nhaps »

I also use Scriv, BE and LaTeX

In BE you have to build a format of your choice. For me I created one that renders citations like this: {$\autocite[]{$u1$}.$}. So all I have to do really is input the page number inside the brackets. I export to plain text, and I let LaTeX do all the formatting, so I actually never scan a file. To create or update a bibliography bib file I create a static folder in BE and drag the ones that should be exported. I created a macro to refresh a bib file automatically. By the way, I don't use MMD because I use BibLaTeX.
iandol

Post by iandol »

Yes, there are multiple routes to generate a bibliography in the Scrivener > MMD > LaTeX route:
  1. Use standard BE temporary citations and scan the .md file using Bookends.
  2. Use MMD style citations and transform then to BibLaTex format. LaTeX does the formatting.
  3. Use Pandoc and pandoc-citeproc to scan the .md file and generate a bibliography *before* LaTex.
  4. Use Pandoc to convert pandoc citations to BibLaTeX and let LaTeX do it.
  5. Use BibLaTeX style directly in Scrivener, don't let MMD or Pandoc transform anything?
EDIT: This is one of the nice things about Papers, it streamlines switching between different temporary citations:
Screenshot 2016-08-30 12.09.59.png
Screenshot 2016-08-30 12.09.59.png (12.49 KiB) Viewed 5571 times
Nhaps

Post by Nhaps »

I am after #4 (Use Pandoc to convert pandoc citations to BibLaTeX and let LaTeX do it), but don't know how. Will try to find out later on. Thanks for the info.