Simple Keyboard Maestro macro to speed up the Autocomplete process

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Dellu

Simple Keyboard Maestro macro to speed up the Autocomplete process

Post by Dellu »

This is a simple macro to speed up the auto-complete process. I made this macro because I have some trouble when trying to select the title in the Autocomplete pop-up window. I am able to select the title of the book in the attachment view. But, i cannot do so in the autocomplete window. This macro alleviates the problem by copying the title before opening the Autocomplete window.

It copies the title to the clipboard-->hits the keyboards to open the Autocomplete window--> paste the title in the Any Text field--> hit enter to search by Title.

You need to select the Title before you hit the keyboard shortcut (CMD+ALT+C).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ddooxb5j3lj2 ... s.zip?dl=0

It is simple: but, helped me a lot. you can try it.

I would be glad to see if you guys have similar or better version of this macro.
Last edited by Dellu on Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Simple Keyboard Maestro macro to speed up the Autocomplete process

Post by Jon »

Thanks for the macro. But note that if you're using Autocomplete Paper with Google Scholar you can't enter text in the title field for a reason -- GS does not have a "search by title" feature. Enter it in the text field.

If this is not the case, please explain a bit more.

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. Yes, we could let you enter the text in the title field and then use it as just raw text to search GS, but that would be fooling you (the user) into thinking you're doing a real title search.
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

yes, I understand that situation. Sorry, I have changed it to "any text": not the title; sorry about the confusion.

But, if you want to know what trouble I am talking about, here is the point.

In the Autocomplete Paper window, we are supposed to insert some texts to the Title or Any Text Field, as the snapshot shows.

The point of this macro is to simplify the process by copying the title of the book/article before opening the Autocomplete process.

The trouble I mentioned is: I was trying to copy the Title of the book in the Autocomplete window because it doesn't give sense manually type the title while I have there. I should be able to copy it. Yes, copying the title to the Any Text field is given there. BE can do it. But, the copying doesn't work for books for me. I have reported this before. It works for some types of files; fails on other types of files.
Last edited by Dellu on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Sure.

Jon
Sonny Software
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

hi Jon

(shall I post this as a new post?)

I have rather graver request on related topic.

Would you, in the future, give us some better source for extracting references?
Google scholar is the best we have for articles: as it is constantly updated and nobody has access as Google does; it is indexing every bit of presentation and publication. It is very hard to keep up with the scientific publication, and informal presentations, talks, etc. Our best hope is still Google scholar, specially for humanities. (Lucky Medicine students, they have Pubmed).

But, for books, Google Scholar is the worst source. Publisher, Address, Series, etc., fields are consistently omitted.

I really had a pleasure with Sente when it was able to extract data from Stanford University library. That page gives the most complete reference for books. The Worldcat is the most comprehensive (with some small problems: Sente also failed to extract the Publisher Field); while the British library is also fairly good source.

So, for BE 13, I am hoping if you can manage to give us one or two better sources for extracting references for books.

(Personally, if you ask me one thing I want to improve in BE, it is the Autocomplete area---other areas, I think BE is the richest reference manager I have ever seen).
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

PDFs are PDFs, Bookends doesn't know if it's an article or a book, so I don't know what you mean. Unless of course the book was simply scanned in, in which case it's an image, not text that can be copied. If that's not the case, please send me such a PDF.

As for your request, it's certainly something I'll consider.

Jon
Sonny Software
Reinhard

Post by Reinhard »

I agree, Bookends is the most advanced reference manager.
Yet, importing a large number of pdfs (using the watchfolder) does not work...and I don't know, if it could work as long as journals do not standardize the position of the DOI in their articles.

Therefore I would prefer a semi-automated way (optional in settings), e.g. if one puts a pdf into the watchfolder the autocomplete-paper window opens and one can do some adjustments (for every new reference) before the import starts. In addition, I would prefer if Bookends creates a temporal virtual folder (import), where I can easily check if everything is ok. This folder should disappear once I close Bookends.

:wink:
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

None of that is going to happen. Importing from the watch folder works great. If Bookends imports the wrong metadata for a particular PDF (because the DOI is incorrect or not the first one Bookends encounters), you can fix this easily with Autocomplete Paper (as I've told you before). You can create a smart group that shows the most recently added X references, which is the equivalent of the temporary group you want (this is one of the defaults Bookends offers, using Add Smart Group (SQL) -> Added in Last 2 Weeks, and adjusting the 2 week bit if you prefer a different interval). This is done post-import, not pre-import, and that is not going to change.

Jon
Sonny Software
Reinhard

Post by Reinhard »

Jon,
always nice talking to you...
How can you say importing from watchfolder works great?
As I said, it is not Bookends fault, when e.g. some journals put the end of the previous article (including a doi) on the first page of the following article.
In this case you get a perfect reference with wonderful reference data...and the very important pdf will be lost forever in the Bookends library.
This error is very hard to find, if you get a list of 50 new references during a single automated import.
Afterwards, you have to check every new reference manually...and therefore (and because of the orphaned pdf issue) I think it would be easier, if the import can be done semi-automated using the autocomplete-paper window.

As always :wink:
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I do try to respond to all requests, which includes in some cases explaining why I think they are misguided. And frankly, IMO, the UI for what you suggest would be, um, horrible. You've asked for this repeatedly, and I've repeatedly told you why it's not a good idea.

The watch folder works great because creates new refs for all PDFs in it and finds metadata for you for the vast majority that have DOIs correctly. If the DOIs Bookends picks up are incorrect (uncommon, but it happens) you're going to have to pick it up manually regardless of the approach. As it is now, post-processing, you can quickly see if it's correct or not by arrowing-down the items in the "recent" smart folder. If pre-processing, you wouldn't know until you saw each one pop-up in the autocomplete paper sheet and then "approve" it. For 50 references that's 50 approvals.

The "recent import" list is almost identical to the "temp folder" you were after. You could even make the smart group find all references imported in the "last 15 minutes" if you wanted. It's a simple edit to the calculation in the SQL search.

I'll withdraw from this discussion with this post, I have nothing more to add.

Jon
Sonny Software
Reinhard

Post by Reinhard »

Jon, when I do a pdf import, I sometimes get orphaned pdfs in the attachment folder. The files contain the orginal file name, no changes to e.g. "anonymous-234"...and there is no reference in Bookends, which has this pdf attached to it.
The other problem is that if Bookends imports the metadata of the last page of the e.g. previous Nature article, the reference is useless...and this error is very hard to find in a list of 50 new references, if you dont see the first page of the attached pdf.

Therefore the optional semi-automated pdf import would be a huge improvement.
The autocomplete-paper-window could be adapted, so that it contains a "15 of 50" scroll button on the bottom. One can easily scan through the reference-pdf-combos, edit single references and finally press the "import all" button. :wink:
semi-automated-pdf-import.jpg
semi-automated-pdf-import.jpg (244.5 KiB) Viewed 8638 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Reinhard wrote:Jon, when I do a pdf import, I sometimes get orphaned pdfs in the attachment folder. The files contain the orginal file name, no changes to e.g. "anonymous-234"...and there is no reference in Bookends, which has this pdf attached to it.
That shouldn't happen. Please contact tech support and attach a PDF that shows this problem so that I can reproduce it.

Jon
Sonny Software