Template for a Report

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
dspady

Template for a Report

Post by dspady »

Is there a template for a Report, like a government report, or a report by a non-governmental organization. These are not really books, although that is what I usually use as the default, but a template for a Report would be nice.

How does one go about making such a thing?

Don
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Template for a Report

Post by Jon »

No, there isn't. In Bookends this is called a Type (not template). To create a new Type you would go to Preferences (Refs tab) and double-click in one of the "Unused" Types. Name it Report (or whatever). On the right you'd select Report from the Type list, then edit the labels of the fields you want to change (e.g. User1 could be changed to "Gov't Agency" or whatever you'd find useful). From this point you can choose the Report Type when you create a new reference and fill out the fields that make sense for such a reference.

Jon
Sonny Software
dspady

Post by dspady »

Thanks. I will give it a shot.

Don
brandigt

Post by brandigt »

I know this hasn't come up recently, but a report type would be nice. I have sited educational reports regularly in APA 6th format for years.

I finally created this type based on the instructions below just a few minutes ago. It will save me some time, but is not perfect. I had issues with the organization name and authors' names, and therefore the sort order. I'm sure other things will crop up.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Terminate organization names with a comma:

The National Institutes of Health,

Jon
Sonny Software
brandigt

Post by brandigt »

Some APA sites tell you to ignore authors and site by the organization while other sites say to cite by the authors. I am not sure which is most correct, but I was trying to set it up so that I could easily change the format if I am ever told to do it the alternative way.

Specifically, my issue arises with how I set up the reports format. I had authors in the usual field, and I replaced journal title with the organization name. I set up the format to list the organization first, but it was still alphabetizing by author. I then went in and changed the type so that the typical authors field is the organization and the journal field is now authors, since what I am currently writing asked for it to be ordered by organization. I can always change it later if I need to, but just wanted to let you know, in case you wanted to adda project to your to do list. :D

Plus, I have learned that there is likely a way for me to do what I want, but that I just do not know how to do it.
brandigt

Post by brandigt »

In case you do ever decide to tackle a reports format....

Thank you for drawing my attention to journal glossaries in the other thread.

Now that I am looking at the journal glossary, it seems that organizations would be useful staying in the journal field. This way the organization abbreviation can be used if it is cited multiple times. I'm not sure if it the best idea, but I am planning on adding the organizations to my journal glossary. Let me know if there is a better way of doing this.