Small Caps

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Small Caps

Post by Jon »

The "improvement" is that for citations and footnotes Bookends now uses \scaps for Word, NWP, and Mellel (Mellel support coming in their 3.3 update).

Jon
Sonny Software
julesmim

Post by julesmim »

Hello,

I apologize for not having noticed the real improvement. I hadn’t checked scanning a temporary citation, but I rather used "Copy formatted", thinking that it would give the same result. But it did not.

Now, I checked for citations, in primary and secondary order, for bibliography, and for "Copy formatted".
And I see that only in-text citations use the rtf code \scaps.

I would suggest the following further improvements:
- having the same \scaps format applied also for bibliography and "Copy formatted";
- having the \scaps format applied to the whole word and not only for letters other than the first letter. Because now, if I use find and replace in Word to replace for example small caps by bold, the result would be: the surnames would be in bold except their first letter. In Word, the ’Small Caps" style does not change the appearance of letters entered as capital; it changes only the appearance of letters entered as not-capitals.

Thanks for all the good work.
julesmim

Post by julesmim »

Hello,

In a previous post about Small Caps, after having noticed the improvement already done about Small Caps, I also suggested further im improvements:
- having the same \scaps format applied also for bibliography and "Copy formatted";
- having the \scaps format applied to the whole word and not only for letters other than the first letter. Because now, if I use find and replace in Word to replace for example small caps by bold, the result would be: the surnames would be in bold except their first letter. In Word, the ’Small Caps" style does not change the appearance of letters entered as capital; it changes only the appearance of letters entered as not-capitals.
For the first point, it seems that the improvement has now been done for bibliography, but not for "Copy Formatted".

For the second point, since 2013, nothing has changed. Is it because it is impossible or too complicated, or just because my request has been forgotten? I explained my reason for asking it. May I hope it will be done soon? Wouldn’t it be easier to apply the rtf code for Small Caps to the whole word instead of putting apart the first letter?

Thanks for your good work and your support.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes, because of the intricacies of preserving style information when manipulating text at the letter level it was too difficult to do.

Jon
Sonny Software
julesmim

Post by julesmim »

Hello,

I suppose this difficulty is mainly about the first point about "Copy formatted"

I don’t understand why it would be more complicated not making this exception for the first letter. So, may I hope my second point (about applying the code for Small Caps to the whole word and not except the first letter) will be implemented some day (not too far I hope)?
julesmim

Post by julesmim »

Hello,

Another question about small caps when I choose "small cap surname" for the authors or editors in the Format Manager, it does not apply it to the name of institutions (followed by a comma). Since "small cap surname" somehow means "put the main part of the full name in small caps", for the institutions in which there is only one part (no first and last name), I would expect that the whole name would be put in small caps. Seems logical. I don’t know how it could be implemented, but I would really like to have this possibility. If not, I would be constrained to create a new reference type for books with an institution as author.

Thanks for all the good work already done.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I think your last point will be implemented in the next update.

Jon
Sonny Software
julesmim

Post by julesmim »

Jon wrote:I think your last point will be implemented in the next update.

Thanks.
Is it my last point about not excluding the first letter of last name under /scaps format (even if the first letter is still visualized as full cap)

or the issue in my last post about applying small caps also to institution names (terminated by comma)?

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The issue about applying small caps also to institution names (terminated by comma).

Jon
Sonny Software