Batch autocomplete PDFS?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
GJPhD

Batch autocomplete PDFS?

Post by GJPhD »

Is there a way to autocomplete (Shift+Command+c) PDFs in batches? I come from Papers and Sente and I have found batch autocomplete in those apps very useful. I have yet to find if Bookends has / does it...

My workflow on the iPad is a combination of iPad, iOS Bookends, and MacOS (Bookends)
- Use Browzine on iPad to look through journals/articles of interest => Import relevant PDFs into iOS Bookends
- Sync iOS Bookends via iCloud
- Open and sync Bookends on MacOS

Browzine, however, exports PDFs into iOS Bookends that are incomplete: they will only have the article title. Manually doing Shift+Command+c for each PDFS is becoming a bit of a drag, I usually import around 60-75 articles per week and use PubMed to autocomplete each paper separately.

Is it possible to batch autocomplete PDFs in the current version of Bookends? If not, will it be considered as a future feature?

Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Batch autocomplete PDFS?

Post by Jon »

Autocomplete Paper requires user intervention, so doing this "in batch" doesn't make sense. I think what you're looking for is Autofill From Internet, which requires that the reference have a DOI, PMID, JSTOR stable URL, or ISBN. This can indeed be done in batch (select the references you want autofilled, then choose this menu or hierarchical menu option).

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. What does Browzine actually export? Only the title, or is that only what Bookends for iOS gets? In other words, could there be room for improvement in the ability of Bookends for iOS to get the DOI, for example?
GJPhD

Post by GJPhD »

Thanks for the quick answer.

I have tried Autofill From Internet, but the problem I have then is that the All Fields or Selected Field is greyed out so I cannot start doing the autofill, even though the articles have a DOI: when I do the autocomplete for each article, it automatically updates.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The Bookends ref must have one of the items I mentioned (DOI, PMID, etc.) for Autofill to be enabled. The title isn't enough to identify the reference without user intervention (i.e. Autocomplete Paper).

Can Browzine export the DOI to Bookends for iOS? What exactly *does* Browzine export?

Also, although this doesn't apply to the workflow you describe, note that you can add PDFs to Bookends in batch and have Bookends find the metadata automatically (if it can).

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I've written to Third Iron and have requested direct export of citations from Browzine to Bookends for iOS. If this is something you'd like to see you might write yourself, the more people that request it the more likely it is to happen.

http://thirdiron.com/contactus/

Jon
Sonny Software
GJPhD

Post by GJPhD »

Good one - Browzine only exports the article title, so that'll be the culprit. I have contacted them with the same request as you.

Thanks again for the quick answer, have yourself a good weekend.
GJPhD

Post by GJPhD »

A quick follow-up to this.

I did notice that Browzine will export DOI for several journals (although not all). However, it does not place the DOI in the relevant Bookends 'Additional Fields' DOI field.

So when I do 'Autocomplete paper', Bookends will have the DOI in the import window (see below for screenshot), but that DOI is not in the right pane window under 'Additional Fields', which (I think) is where Bookends will look when trying to 'Autofill from Internet'.

image upload
tristanlane

Browzine and pdf naming

Post by tristanlane »

This is a resurrection of the brownie thread.

Recent updates have improved its behaviour, but the major problem I get now is:

1. PDF in brownie -> iPad Bookends import - all good with doi and bookends magic
2. Look at sync'd system on desktop - pdf has always been lost (and not renamed as normal) - have to reattach manually and then as a second step (despite checking rename) rename the PDF file.

A sample screen shot attached - I'm halfway through manually updating the pdfs from yesterday.

What can I do to do it better?
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 23.38.56.png
Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 23.38.56.png (151.27 KiB) Viewed 4187 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends doesn't rename a PDF downloaded from Bookends for iOS.

I don't really understand the problem you're having, please contact tech support directly and perhaps include a series of screen snaps that illustrate what is wrong.

Jon
Sonny Software