Getting my head around iCloud

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
mwarner

Getting my head around iCloud

Post by mwarner »

Apologies for a very simplistic question. When BE syncs its database via iCloud, is it really using a chunk of iCloud drive or rather is it only using iCloud as a means of communicating across different Apple devices and pushing electrons for synchronization and hence not really storing anything remotely?

Mark
mwarner

Re: Getting my head around iCloud

Post by mwarner »

I think I just found the answer to my question and hope this will help others if they find the same source of confusion. Bookends is using a small amount of space that goes toward your iCloud storage quota (in my case, 11.1 MB)

Apple makes this confusing since some items use iCloud drive in name, while other applications are shown using iCloud storage. For example, if I log into my iCloud account via a web browser and then specifically look at iCloud drive, I see only a few applications using space there. The place to go to see everything that is using space in iCloud is your system preferences on your Mac, iCloud, then click the Manage button next to the graph depicting your storage space. This will bring up a scrollable window for Manage Storage that will help you see what is really tapping into iCloud.

I am a hard core DropBox user and have avoided iCloud drive as much as possible, but realize I've got to get my head around it to use BookEnds for iOS and I find it all too easy to have many options across many Apple devices turned on by default without me even knowing it.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

As you saw, the library metadata is stored in iCloud. Not the Bookends library file (à la Dropbox), but the atomic data. This has many advantages over Dropbox, including the fact that syncing is very fast because it requires only uploading/downloading the data that have changed (as opposed to uploading/downloading the entire many-MB library file), and that file conflicts cannot arise. You should move to Bookends iCloud sync for your library. Use Dropbox for attachments and supporting files (i.e. custom folders).

Jon
Sonny Software
midas

Post by midas »

So, do you *not* recommend using iCloud for attachments?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I didn't say that. iCloud is fine for attachments (and required if you want to sync with Bookends for iOS via the cloud). If you're only syncing with Bookends for Mac, any file sync service will do (iCloud, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.). I only mentioned Dropbox in response to your post because you said you're a hard core Dropbox user.

Jon
Sonny Software
tristanlane

Post by tristanlane »

I'm just coming across to the idea of using iCloud.

I have transitioned from Papers to Bookends. I had my Papers3 database on dropbox. All my attachments stay in that folder for Bookends (which works well).

When I set up Bookends I used onedrive for the library folder.

I have just set up iCloud syncing.

Do I need to move the library file from my onedrive folder (I think I do). Is it best to upload to icloud, delete onedrive version, then download to a non-onedrive location.

Finally, I can now upload my attachments folder to iCloud and then it will sync with bookends iOS?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Move your library out of any file sync folder. But it in Documents, or wherever you want, just not a file sync folder. You can put your attachments in the iCloud sync folder (set in preferences). Then Bookends for iOS can see them.

Jon
Sonny Software
tristanlane

Post by tristanlane »

brill thank you.

however, just wanted to make sure I don't get it wrong.

Do I need to create a folder with a specific name, or can I just point to any in the iCloud drive? I have provisionally created one in iCloud drive of bookends/library

the bookends for iOS creates a path via mobile documents - do I need to use that one?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You don't create the folder. Bookends for iOS creates the attachment folder, and yes you must point to that one. Stick to Apple's strict rules or sync won't work between the Mac and iOS.

Jon
Sonny Software
tristanlane

Post by tristanlane »

thanks and that will sync between 2 macs as well?
tristanlane

Post by tristanlane »

Sorry for being dumb.

I select it in the preferences to point to, Bookends creates the folder and then once the folder is created - I just copy all the (8000+) attachments across?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

As I said, Bookends for iOS creates the special folder you need to sync with iOS. It can't be done from Bookends for macOS. Yes, once you see it you can copy your 8000 PDFs to it. Yes it can be used to sync 2 Macs, too.

Jon
Sonny Software
tristanlane

Post by tristanlane »

Thank you!

A few goes at sorting the syncing to get the folder to appear and it's perfect.

Thank you!