Sorting In-Text Citations by Author

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Doug

Sorting In-Text Citations by Author

Post by Doug »

I'm noticing that in-text citations are not sorting by author. For example, it should be (Miller, 1999; Smith, 1999) and I'm seeing (Smith, 1999; Miller, 1999). I'm using a customized in-text citation style so I can get strict APA style (as per the manual), and I know this means Bookends won't catch and replace 2nd+ citations with "et al." but does it also mean that Bookends won't sort by Author?

Thanks.

Doug
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Doug,

For autor-date citations you can sort by author, sort by year, or output as entered. For custom citation Bookends does not "know" what you are citing, and it doesn't try to guess -- it doesn't sort the citations at all. If you want them sorted by author in the scanned document, place the temporary citations in alphabetical order when you insert them into the document.

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. I think Bookends now will replace 3 or more authors with et al. if a secondary order is used and "use et al." is chosen (it will use both names if there are only two authors). We did make some changes to this recently and made a silent update as I recall. Please download Bookends again and give it a try.