renaming attachments without spaces

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
mclearc

renaming attachments without spaces

Post by mclearc »

I know that one can rename attachments using a specified, and possibly custom, format. I would like to have all attachments renamed using bibtex citekey, and underscore, and then the (short) title, all lowercase, with spaces replaced with underscores, like so: "dunn2016_iconicity_and_the_format_of_perception". I see how to set the format to put citekey and initial underscore, but I see no way to generate the title as lowercase with spaces replaced by underscores. Any help is appreciated!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: renaming attachments without spaces

Post by Jon »

Bookends can't covert the title to lowercase replace spaces with underscores. The only thing I can think of is for you to generate the title yourself, put it in a user field, and use that field to rename the PDF. But that's more work than simply doing this yourself in the "rename" field in the Bookends attach dialog.

Jon
Sonny Software
mclearc

Post by mclearc »

thanks. that's unfortunate, as it will break a bunch of links to course material that I teach. I guess you can consider this a feature request (it's easy to do in other ref managers like Zotero (which I'm currently using), Jabref, and BibDesk). Thanks for your quick response.
johnlaudun

Post by johnlaudun »

I'm just going to add another informal request for this feature here. As a Paper 3 refugee, I'm loathe to have PDFs named in any way that isn't human-readable and not available for manipulation through the CLI. For me that's simply author_date or author_author_date, etc. Just being able to toggle from spaces to underscores would be a huge help there.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'll add it.

Jon
Sonny Software
chittu

Post by chittu »

is this implemented? most of my files have spaces in the name and it is actually a problem for file transfers, etc, thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Preferences, General tab.

Jon
Sonny Software