auto-sync upon launch?

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
thecritic

auto-sync upon launch?

Post by thecritic »

When I launch Bookends for iOS, it never seems to update automatically — I seem to have to tap on “Sync” in the sidebar in order to update the library. It’s weird, because while typing this message, when I switched back to Bookends to look at something, I saw Bookends automatically invoke sync.

Should Bookends for iOS invoke sync automatically when it is launched?
Serge

Re: auto-sync upon launch?

Post by Serge »

Yes, sync should start automatically on app launch and close. In case of some problems with syncing (including problems with internet) sync will be suspended and you should initiate it manually.
thecritic

Post by thecritic »

Is there any troubleshooting I can perform? I'm fairly certain that sync never initiates upon launch.

It might be helpful if there were some visual indication that sync has not been performed.
Serge

Post by Serge »

Yes, I agree, in case of any sync error we will not suspend sync automatically and will show an error description message with choices “Continue” and “Suspend Sync”.
thecritic

Post by thecritic »

Great. Otherwise one has no idea whether the displayed information is up to date or not.
thecritic

Post by thecritic »

I've tried deleting the library from my iPad, deleting Bookends for iOS from my iPad and reinstalling, force-quitting — but Bookends never syncs upon launch. I always have to invoke sync manually.

What can I do to fix this?

[success!] It's finally working now -- go figure.

By the way, it would be great if sync were initiated when a user pulls down on the list of references while in the "All" group, as that is pretty much a convention on iOS for refresh.
Serge

Post by Serge »

Yes, we will add this "pull to refresh" feature in the next update. Thanks for the suggestion.
aroddick

Post by aroddick »

A pull to sync is a great idea!