Is there a way to mark a paper as "read"?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
JamesAFoster

Is there a way to mark a paper as "read"?

Post by JamesAFoster »

In Papers3 (my former pdf manager), there is a "read" flag that indicates whether I have read a pdf, and a "date read" field to say WHEN I read it. Is there similar functionality in BE?
james a. foster
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Is there a way to mark a paper as "read"?

Post by Jon »

No. You'd have to manage that yourself.

Jon
Sonny Software
mathefff

Post by mathefff »

Well, that is one fantastic feature I would also like to see in the future releases of Bookends. :idea:
mathefff

Post by mathefff »

I was thinking about using Smart Groups for that.

For example, I could promise myself I would rate any read article. Then, one can use a term Rating is/is not. But the only option is None or other rather specific values. Is there any way to add a reference with Any rating? Hm, one could possibly is every available options there (like ">", "<", "is") with the use of OR to cover every possibility for ANY rating.

It's a workaround but really feels like it should be built in...
DarrenIngram

Post by DarrenIngram »

Would the colour coding satisfy that goal? I don't know if all imports could be automatically told to be, for example, yellow, so when you've read it fully you make it white. Not in a position to immediate check, since I should be writing and not reading email and forums :.)
mathefff

Post by mathefff »

It probably would but the problem is I use colour coding for something else already. And, as far as I am aware, you can add only one colour label per reference.
DarrenIngram

Post by DarrenIngram »

Ah, ok! Your request would be good as an "off/on" field (or status : to read, being read : read) for sure. Just thinking as an interim!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You can always make a smart SQL group for ratings, and then use > or <.

For example,

rating > 0

would find all references that have been assigned stars.

Jon
Sonny Software
benjaminpelissie

Post by benjaminpelissie »

+1 for a "mark as read" feature that would be visible in the main reference list. In my opinion it is very useful and while you can replicate it with smart groups / labels, it is very cumbersome, not intuitive and not elegant.
Ben
mathefff

Post by mathefff »

^ this post.
Johan_A_M

Post by Johan_A_M »

benjaminpelissie wrote:+1 for a "mark as read" feature that would be visible in the main reference list. In my opinion it is very useful and while you can replicate it with smart groups / labels, it is very cumbersome, not intuitive and not elegant.
Ben
I completely agree with this.
alanterra

Post by alanterra »

I have always "marked as read" using a status. (I'm a recent convert from Sente, and I brought my statuses over). I find that there are nuances on reading (did I read it carefully?, did I read it and take good notes?, did I read it before or after I made my earth-shattering discovery?) and a check-box "Have Read" wouldn't add much to my process.

Note also an ambiguity in the English language: "Read" (pronounced "Red") means that I have read it, "Read" (pronounced "Reed") means that I need to read it. So any such user-interface element needs to be unambiguous.