Cited pages using "@" problem

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
kpsc

Cited pages using "@" problem

Post by kpsc »

Hi Bookends users,

I'm a newbie (goodbye Word and goodbye Endnote!), so please forgive the stupid question.

I have a problem using the "@" for cited pages - when I do the scan it comes out without "p." or "pp." and I don't know why. I'm sorry if this is in the manual, but I have read the cited pages section of it, and looked at some posts too.

A temporary ref might be:

{Minnis, 1995, The Shorter Poems@323-325}

becomes:

A.J. Minnis, The Shorter Poems, 1995323-325

Is there something I need to tell Bookends that I'm using the "@" for cited pages. I'm using the MHRA style, but using the 'author-date' system in footnotes, and have not specified a "Custom Citation Format". This shouldn't matter though, should it.

I'm using Mellel (1.9.1), and Bookends (8.1).

Best, Kenneth
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Kenneth,

You have to edit the format to put p.^pp. in the Cited Pages before field. Did you do that?

Jon
Sonny Software
kpsc

Post by kpsc »

Ok, so I have placed "p.^pp." in the 'cited pages' part of the format I'm using - is that in the manual...I checked again and couldn't see it... There is still a little glitch which I'm sure is easy to fix: there is no space between the year and the pages. There should be a comma and a space. E.g.

Minnis, et al, 1995pp.313-315. I have experimented with the citation and nothing I do changes the output.

Very sorry for more silly question.

Thank you so much for your swift response.

Kenneth
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You just have to put the space in the cited pages (Bookends treats it as literal text):

_p._^_ pp._

(where _ means space).

Jon
Sonny Software
kpsc

Post by kpsc »

Wow, that's the fastest reply to a tech support post I've ever seen. Guinness Book of Records stuff this.

Super. Solution has been found. Another problem I had was that the comma after year wasn't appearing, e.g.

Minnis, et al, 1995 pp. 313-315 -- instead of Minnis, et al, 1995, pp.313-315.

The solution I have found is to actually put the commas into the cited pages formula, so it reads:

",_p.^,_pp._"

It works. Is it a reasonable solution, or is there a box I've forgotten to tick?

Thank you so much.

Kenneth
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Kenneth,

No, that's exactly the right solution. Bookends does not assume anything here -- it outputs exactly what you tell it to, including all punctuation.

Jon
Sonny Software

P. S. We released 8.1.1 today, with some nice additions to formatting. You should get it, if you haven't already.