Problem with .ris export from SAGE

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
ozean

Problem with .ris export from SAGE

Post by ozean »

Hi all,

for a couple of weeks, importing citations from SAGE based publications has become burdensome, because it looks like they now do not export names in the format

SURNAME, PRENAME

but as

PRENAME SURNAME

Which causes Bookends to import this in a wrong way. (And this makes importing ris from them a bit hassle that requires lots of manual work, especially for people with two pre- or surname etc.) Is this because of a change in the way bookends handles .ris imports or is this because of a change on the side of SAGE. (This does not happen with other publishers, such as Taylor & Francis etc. – .-ris imports from them still work fine).

I have already contacted Sage about this and they have forwarded this to the relevant technical staff, but in case they have any questions I thought I'd put this out here as well…
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Problem with .ris export from SAGE

Post by Jon »

The RIS format description doesn't specify the first name/surname order. SAGE can export the names any way they like and be correct. The solution is very simple -- edit the Bookends RIS filter (or create a new one based on our RIS and edit that) and tell Bookends to expect surname last.

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

I guess the problem with that solution would be that I would then need to change this for everyone else…

But maybe Sage will change this back anyway, this is at least the response that I got a couple of minutes ago:
thank you for your detailed response.

It appears you are not the only one who has noticed it and a ticket has already been raised with our platform provider to investiate. They are currently looking into this problem and once the issue has been identified we will have a time line for a fix

I am afraid I won't have a timeline at the moment but I will keep you updated.
Seems as if others have noticed the same change causing problems. So even if the RIS format description doesn't specify, it looks like lastname, firstname is a kind of de-facto standard, or at least the approach used by most? At least I never had this problem before in all the years that I have been ex- and importing .ris files… I'll keep my fingers crossed that they change this back, at least…
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's why I said to make a copy based on RIS. Name it RIS Sage or something. Sage may or may not change back but other sites may export as surname last, too, and this is the simple way for you, or others, to handle that. This is why import filters are configurable.

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

Well, you’re right of course…

(But but but that would require that I change something, but it was THEM that threw a stick into my vulnerable .ris import wheel! THEY should change, not ME! Hehe. :roll: )