references not autofilling imported PDFs

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jhbarker

references not autofilling imported PDFs

Post by jhbarker »

Since the latest update (I think) Bookends has stopped being able to import reference data for PDFs dropped onto it, despite finding a DOI. This is true for multiple journals. Does anyone know a way to figure out what is going on? thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Re: references not autofilling imported PDFs

Post by Jon »

Please download 12.5.4 again. I had decreased the timeout period that Bookends waited for a response and perhaps went too far. I increased it a bit in a silent update and I think it works better now. Please try it.

Jon
Sonny Software
jhbarker

Post by jhbarker »

I tried an import with today's version of 12.5.4, and it now works. Thanks
kga1978

Post by kga1978 »

Hi Jon,

I have the exact same problem - any pdf dragged to Bookends with a DOI identified ends up giving me an empty reference. I downloaded 12.5.4 again but it still doesn't work.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm working on improvements for this in the next update. You can send me one PDF that is not working for you and I'll test it against the new code.

Jon
Sonny Software
stibaleeze

Post by stibaleeze »

I am also having this problem. It reads the DOI but then produces a blank entry and renames my PDF "anonymous." I installed the version available yesterday but the problem persists.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Believe it or not, there is a new silent update. :-)

If the DOI is being filled from PubMed I think this is fixed. If you find it is not, please contact tech support.

Jon
Sonny Software
stibaleeze

Post by stibaleeze »

I just tried and the problem seems fixed.

Although one thing I noticed is that the PDF was not renamed from the reference even though I selected that option. The file was already in the designated bookends folder and kept the same name despite being correctly attached to the reference. For a couple of other PDFs, which were not in the designated bookends folder, the renaming featured worked OK. Although those references were not autofilled based on DOI. I had to do a search for those references.

I was able to rename the other references using the Global Change feature.

Thanks for your help!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Very good.

Yes, Bookends won't rename a file that you're attaching if it's already in the default attachment folder. The various "rename" functions work in all cases, though.

Jon
Sonny Software
mtruninger

Post by mtruninger »

Hello Jon,

I've just installed the newest version 13.0.7 and asked Bookends to rename all attachments and I still get a ton of "Anonymous" pdfs. Plus some of them repeat other pdfs that were correctly named, they're just duplicates with different file names. Also I get a ton of duplicate pdfs like "Davis et al 2003.pdf" and "Davis et al 2003 345.pdf". How can I get this fixed?

Thank you!
Margarida
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Are the references by Anonymous in those cases (or no author)?

As for naming -- all attachment names must be unique. If you have to references with Davis as the first author written in 2003, Bookends will add a random number to the second one to distinguish it from the first.

If you have specific examples where you think the name is incorrect please contact tech support directly, and send the corresponding reference. Also send the format you're using for renaming, or tell me which of the default methods you're using.

Jon
Sonny Software