using three em dashes question

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
alexwein

using three em dashes question

Post by alexwein »

Hi. The three-em-dash feature is great. I have only one question. How do I get the multiple works by a single author listings to present in alphabetical order by title? When citing multiple works by an author (and using the dash), the standard I've always used is that the title would become the sorting field. Right now, the works by a single author are in no apparent order at all, at least not that I can see. I thought it might be by date, but I have one item that precedes all others regarding date of publication and it comes at the end of the multiple works listing (it was published in 1951 and the first one on the list was published in 1958).

In any case, the standard I use (Chicago) requires alphabetical listing by title. After digging around, I see no options or any way to fix this, but I might just be missing it!

Thanks!

Alexandria
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Alexandria,

The subsort is by date. But remember it is by the date entered in the reference, so if the date includes month it won't necessarily correspond to the correct year (e.g. July 4, 2005 will sort by "J", not "2005").

If this isn't the problem, please contact me directly with an example db and small document.

Jon
Sonny Software
alexwein

Post by alexwein »

Jon wrote:The subsort is by date. But remember it is by the date entered in the reference, so if the date includes month it won't necessarily correspond to the correct year (e.g. July 4, 2005 will sort by "J", not "2005").

If this isn't the problem, please contact me directly with an example db and small document.

Jon
Sonny Software
Oh, this is too bad, because this will be pretty problematic for me when trying to create a bibliography. I need the subsort to be by title, no question. The places I submit to require it. So that means I'll have to manually go through my entire bibliography (which can be huge) and rearrange things.

As to the reference that did not seem to sort by date, I was looking at the original published date that was earlier. It sorted by date correctly, so no problems there.

I'm not quite sure what to do at this point. Do you think this might become an option in the future, to be able to subsort by title? In a bibliography that is organized in alphabetical order using a chronological order in the midst of it just won't work. The standard I use (Chicago) is quite clear about this.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I know you are working hard on Bookends and it's a wonderful program. But I'm just wondering if it will be able to meet my needs, given that it seems really focused more on chronological ordering (I'm assuming that most users follow this kind of standard rather than the one I'm using?).

Many thanks,

Alexandria
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Alexandria,

Please see my reply to your other post. Yes, a choice of fields to sort by could be added to the format definition. Not for 8.1, though...

Jon
Sonny Software
alexwein

Post by alexwein »

Jon wrote:Hi Alexandria,

Please see my reply to your other post. Yes, a choice of fields to sort by could be added to the format definition. Not for 8.1, though...

Jon
Sonny Software
Yes, I can definitely understand this, given that you've only just released 8.1! The project that I really need this all working for won't be completed for at least several months, and for the smaller projects I guess I'll have to manipulate my bibs manually. So, I suppose I'll just hang in there and look forward to the next release! Many thanks,
jginsbu

Post by jginsbu »

Jon wrote:Hi Alexandria,

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon, this is really quite important for people working in the humanities or formatting according the the Chicago Manual of Style, etc. Here's what the CMS says (15th: 16.87):
Titles: alphabetical versus chronological order. In a bibliography, as opposed to a reference list (see 16.03), titles by the same author are normally listed alphabetically. An initial the or an is ignored in the alphabetizing.
I hope you'll be able to add this feature soon.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Too late -- sorting by author/title is already in 8.1.1. :-)

(But the ignore leading the/an isn't implemented)

Jon
Sonny Software
jginsbu

Post by jginsbu »

Jon wrote:Too late -- sorting by author/title is already in 8.1.1. :-)

That's great to hear! Thanks for all your work! I'll look forward to seeing the feature rounded out with ignore the/a/an.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Not in 8.1.1 (in fact, I won't make any predictions if/when).

Jon
Sonny Software

Post by Guest »

Jon wrote:Too late -- sorting by author/title is already in 8.1.1. :-)

Jon
Sonny Software
That was fast!!

Ditto to both the accolades and the hope to implement ignoring a/an/the. But at least manual sorting won't be as extensive with author/title sorting. Many thanks!

Does this mean we'll be able to sort by author/title in list view as well as in bibliographies? (need it most for the latter, of course).

Many thanks,

Alexandria
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

No, in the list view sorting will be by author-date. But in bibliographies you will have the choice.

Jon
Sonny Software
alexwein

Post by alexwein »

Jon,

MANY thanks for implementing sorting by author, title, with three-em dashes! Seems to work really well. This is so very helpful!!

I know you said that it would be a while before the program would ignore the leading 'the, a, an,' but I just wanted to 'remind' you that this would be very nice at some point in the future. :D

In the meantime, many thanks for continuing to be so responsive to our persistent whining, er, I mean, requests. :lol:

Alexandria
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

alexwein wrote:I know you said that it would be a while before the program would ignore the leading 'the, a, an,' but I just wanted to 'remind' you that this would be very nice at some point in the future. :D
But it does now (in 8.1.1)!

Take a look at the Read Me. And then look at Preferences (for list of words to ignore) and formats (second tab, where you can tell Bookends to "use ignore list").

Jon
Sonny Software
alexwein

Post by alexwein »

Oh, my, my. That is wonderful. And your response was so fast!

My bad for not reading the Read Me!! I just wasn't expecting this so quickly.

Jon, you continue to amaze me. Really! Many, many thanks.

Alexandria