Critical issue with Cloud Sync

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Critical issue with Cloud Sync

Post by Jon »

We have identified a problem with Cloud Sync. When downloading, you may see this error: "Sync error CONFLICT record to insert already exists". If this happens, please Suspend Syncing temporarily.

We have uploaded a new version of Bookends, 13.0.4, that deals with this. Please install the update from our web site and download your library from the cloud:

File -> New Library -> Download From Cloud

Open this freshly downloaded library and Resume Syncing.

Note: we made an update to 12.8.. If you are having this problem and still use Bookends 12 instead of 13, download 12.8.5 from our web site.

Jon
Sonny Software
albiracer

Re: Critical issue with Cloud Sync

Post by albiracer »

When downloading the library file from iCloud, should one overwrite the existing local one (that as, "replace" rather than save as a new name)?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'd save it as a new name and confirm it's OK (it should be fine). Then you can replace your old library.

Jon
Sonny Software
haricot527

Post by haricot527 »

I just downloaded the new version but now when I try to download a new library from the cloud, it shows nothing, even though the sync button shows my library should be there. Also still getting the "Cloud sync error: an SSL error has occurred..." message.
Attachments
pic.png
pic.png (53.74 KiB) Viewed 10238 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If it's not showing in the dialog then it's not there. As for the SSL error, another user had this issue and it had something to do with their firewall. Maybe yours does, too.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4452

Jon
Sonny Software
haricot527

Post by haricot527 »

Thanks, but my firewall is off. Here's what I see on the sync menu,
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 7.25.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 7.25.55 PM.png (40.71 KiB) Viewed 10224 times
Serge

Post by Serge »

Please try some of suggestions from this page: "An SSL error has occurred ...".
hickoco

Post by hickoco »

Hi, Im having the same problem.

I had the problem in Bookends 12 (re-downloading Bookends 12 didnt solve the issue).
So I have just paid the extra for Bookends 13.

Same problem!

When I choose ‘Download from Cloud’ (as directed below) and sign in using my Apple id, I am then prompted to look for a library in iCloud. My library is not stored on iCloud (its on Dropbox) so there are no options to select. The only option is to click 'Cancel'. This leaves me with no option but to open my Library the normal way (File -> Open Library ->).
When I open my Library I immediately get the CONFLIT error again, in multiple popup windows. Most relevant menu options (e.g. preferences etc.) are greyed out.

The CONFLICT error renders my Bookends library completely unusable.

Please help!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If you're not using iCloud then click on the cloud icon in Bookends and Sign Out From Cloud. That will stop these messages.

BTW, we don't recommend putting your library in Dropbox. We recommend using Cloud Sync.

Jon
Sonny Software
rlknutson

Post by rlknutson »

You are right that somehow I missed the 13.0.4 download, but I cannot now find it on your website. It doesn't come up under Downloads or ios
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It's 13.0.5 now, and it's the first download link.

Jon
Sonny Software
rkarchin

Post by rkarchin »

I have installed 13.0.7. Like others in the thread I don't see any libraries on ICloud, even though I previously synced or thought I did with the little cloud icon. The Sync Error Conflict Error to Insert message persists and has made Bookends unusable for me. No SSL errors.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please try logging out of iCloud and then logging back in. Now see if you can create a new library from the cloud.

Jon
Sonny Software
edwinc

Post by edwinc »

After much consideration, I just bought a copy of Bookends. First thing I try to do, I get this Sync error message. It's very annoying to already be fixing things on your first days.

I'll be trying the fixes mentioned above and keep you posted.

UPDATE: Signed out of iCloud and back in. Takes a while to load. Still getting the same error message. HELP!

UPDATE 2: I downloaded version 13.1, tried again and it worked. Here's to hoping I'll spend more time using Bookends than fixing little issues.

UPDATE 3: Sorry for the many posts. Again, first time here. A little desperate I had an issue right away.
Last edited by edwinc on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I replied to this email request for support (no need to post here and write, once is sufficient). For anyone else reading this, the advice was to hold down the Option key and click on the cloud sync icon in the library window -- select Force Full Sync Now.

Jon
Sonny Software