Preferences per file

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jem

Preferences per file

Post by jem »

There is one thing that keeps slapping me across my face all the time. I tend to modify the standard database quite a bit (new field name, new type name, other fonts, etc) and often I lose these settings either because I move between two computers or I reinstall a computer and I neglect to copy the preferences (please, no remarks about backups :) ).

What I would like to see is the ability to have these settings saved in the database file so that the settings moves with the database (which also would make it possible for me to have different databases with different settings). Is this possible, I don't think so but ...

Now, please tell me that I've missed something completely and this can be done already.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi jem,

There are some things are that saved in individual databases (window placement, whether the disclosure tabs are true or false, etc.). These make sense.

Global settings, though, like field labels are saved in Preferences because, well, they are global. It would make no sense to save them in individual databases, and every new db would have to be reconfigured.

So no, sorry, you haven't missed anything.

Jon
Sonny Software
jem

Post by jem »

Can the "Bookends 8 Preferences" file safely be moved between computers, so I can have the same settings on both my computers?

And will future versions be able to read these settings?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Preferences can be moved, yes.

I'm not sure I understand the second question. But the answer is "probably".

Jon
Sonny Software
jem

Post by jem »

Jon wrote:I'm not sure I understand the second question. But the answer is "probably".
If was meaning: will version 8.x and 9.x be able to read an 8.1 preference file so I can get use the setup (field names, reference types) that I now have.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

jem, you know perfectly well one can't be 100% sure about things like this. The answer, as I gave before, is probably.

Jon
Sonny Software
jem

Post by jem »

Yes, and I'm content with that reply.