Floating citations not working

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
dtoub

Floating citations not working

Post by dtoub »

I'm running the latest beta of Mojave that is about to be released (12.1), probably by next week. Anyway, if I try to invoke the floating citations window in Word or any other app, nothing happens. Doesn't matter what the modifier key is (I have it set to double-click control, but have tried all the other options, toggled it on and off, restarted my computer, etc). Any thoughts? Thanks. It had worked previously, so it seems odd it isn't working now. The only thing I can think of is that at home I'm using a wired keyboard (USB) to my MacBook Pro, whereas right now I'm in my office on the other coast and using my MacBook Pro (Touch Bar) as is without a connected keyboard. Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Floating citations not working

Post by Jon »

It's probably the AE security feature introduced in Mojave. Go to System Preferences -> Privacy and make sure in the Accessibility section Bookends is allowed to control other apps.

Jon
Sonny Software
dtoub

Post by dtoub »

That was a great thought. Unfortunately it hasn't worked.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It's still almost certainly the reason. If Bookends is checked in the Accessibility -> Privacy tab, try unchecking it and then checking it again. I had this problem in Mojave once and that worked for me.

Jon
Sonny Software
dtoub

Post by dtoub »

Wow. That worked. Thanks; should’ve tried that myself.

Odd thing though: the floating citations window appears fine over the Bookmarks app, but not Word. I'll try playing around with it.It literally disappears when I switch to Word, yet the FC window has the Word icon.
dtoub

Post by dtoub »

So it might have something to do with management of displays or spaces. If I place Bookends in the same space as Word and make word the front-most application, it works fine. But if Bookends is in a different space or on another display (I span monitors), then it doesn't display the FC window.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's not surprising, Bookends looks to see what's the frontmost app, which likely applies to the Space it's in. If it's in a different Space it's probably not recognized as such.

Jon
Sonny Software
dtoub

Post by dtoub »

OK then. That is helpful. Thanks.
yuuki_with2us

Post by yuuki_with2us »

Jon wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:10 pm That's not surprising, Bookends looks to see what's the frontmost app, which likely applies to the Space it's in. If it's in a different Space it's probably not recognized as such.

Jon
Sonny Software
Hello Jon,

Apologies for piggybacking on a reply from an old thread. But I wanted to ask if there is any chance that you may make it possible to invoke (call up) the floating citations window in an app even when Bookends is open in a desktop ('space') that is not on display. This would be tremendously useful for me, as I assign Bookends (and other reading/referencing related apps) to one desktop, and composition apps to another. Thanks!

Yuuki Ohta
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I don't know if that's possible. Bookends is notified by the OS with the trigger key is pressed twice. If it's not receiving that notification then it seems the OS doesn't notify apps when the trigger happens in a different space.

Jon
Sonny Software