Difference between Word and Mellel reference lists

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
bmalin

Difference between Word and Mellel reference lists

Post by bmalin »

What are the significant differences between how Word and Mellel generate reference lists?

I am writing an academic book in Scrivener, and trying to decide if it would be worth using Mellel instead of Word to generate the manuscript. The publisher requires a Word document, so using Mellel would require that conversion step. I'm trying Mellel for the 30 day preview period, and I can see that the learning curve would take some time for me.

Mellel creates the reference list as one enters citations in the text. Word generates the list when the document is scanned. Is this the main difference? If so, what is the advantage other than expediency?

I also see that Mellel places the reference list before any endnotes. How does one change that to the other way around?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Difference between Word and Mellel reference lists

Post by Jon »

This question would probably be better addressed in the Mellel forum.

http://forum.mellel.com/viewforum.php?f=1

From Bookends perspective, Mellel's approach is better than Word's because it treats temporary citations as objects, not text (that is, it knows what a citation is, to Word it's just more text). This allows things like Live Bibliography, which you mentioned. You also have finer control over the style of references and bibliographies (where Mellel preferences can override what Bookends sends). In my opinion, the integration of Bookends with Mellel is excellent, with Word it is quite good, but not at that level.

Jon
Sonny Software
bmalin

Re: Difference between Word and Mellel reference lists

Post by bmalin »

Thanks so much again, Jon