unique & sequential numbering

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
g-smith3

unique & sequential numbering

Post by g-smith3 »

I'm about ready to take the plunge and put Endnote on the shelf (or possibly the trash can). I am so frustrated with Endnote 8, and paying for the just-released Endnote 9 with the hope it may fix bugs makes me outragged.

There is one thing I need to know before I can make the switch to Bookends that I could not figure out for myself with the demo. I currently use Endnote's unique record numbering system to file printed copies of manuscripts that are references in my database. Endnote's record numbers are sequential, and as far as I understand never change. As such, my file cabinet is nicely grouped into numbers that are easy to search through (first hanging folder is 1-25, followed by 26-50, etc...).

Although the Bookends manual suggests the use of unique numbers for this purpose, unique numbers are random and would result in a crazy file cabinet. The Bookends sequential numbers would be much nicer, but I understand that they change if a record is deleted. Furthermore, I cannot figure out how to display sequential numbers in list view.

Any suggestions?

Greg
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

First, if you import EN XML, the EN record numbers become the Bookends unique id's. So your filing system will still work for existing references.

Second, sequential unique id's is one of the worst things EN did. It ensures, among other things, that you can't merge databases or exchange references with colleagues without interfering with manuscripts in progress. Random unique id's are much better (i.e., this is a feature, not a bug).

You can still use unique id's to track references, if you want, but just have folders with wider ranges of numbers they accept (up to you, but maybe a range of 5000 per folder). Of course, Bookends lets you easily file and keep track of pdfs, and you may want to consider these instead of paper copies as you add new references.

Jon
Sonny Software[/i]
g-smith3

Post by g-smith3 »

Thank you Jon for the quick reply. I saw that Bookends keeps ENs record numbers as unique IDs when I did a test import - very nice. I also think you did a wonderful job creating links for pdfs and images.

It is often inconvenient to use pdfs for note taking: labeling images, highlighting, drawing lines to connect different statements, circling parts of figures and making comments... can be hard to beat. The majority of my colleagues also use sequential numbering in EN for their printed files just as I do and for the same reason.

Any chance of either:
a) Allowing Bookend's sequential numbers as a display option in list view (i.e. as long as the user does not delete a reference, no problem)

b) Providing an option to have Unique IDs assigned sequentially instead of randomly (for those users, such as myself, where this benefit would outweigh the cons)

Thanks for your consideration,

Greg
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

g-smith3 wrote:Any chance of either:
a) Allowing Bookend's sequential numbers as a display option in list view (i.e. as long as the user does not delete a reference, no problem)
You can -- turn off 'sort list view' in Preferences.
b) Providing an option to have Unique IDs assigned sequentially instead of randomly (for those users, such as myself, where this benefit would outweigh the cons)
Sorry, never. It's a bad idea, and we won't support it. FYI, EN 9 was released today. Not much new, but the bugs may have been eliminated. Why not give it a shot?

Jon
Sonny Software
g-smith3

Post by g-smith3 »

Jon wrote:
g-smith3 wrote:Any chance of either:
You can -- turn off 'sort list view' in Preferences.
I unchecked "Sort" under "List View Window" in the "Lists" tab of preferences, but I don't see the sequential numbers or an option to display them. Did I misunderstand?
Jon wrote:
g-smith3 wrote:b) Providing an option to have Unique IDs assigned sequentially instead of randomly (for those users, such as myself, where this benefit would outweigh the cons)
Sorry, never. It's a bad idea, and we won't support it. FYI, EN 9 was released today. Not much new, but the bugs may have been eliminated. Why not give it a shot?
That is a shame. But if the sequential numbers can be displayed, you still may yet save me from EN.

Greg
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

g-smith3 wrote:I unchecked "Sort" under "List View Window" in the "Lists" tab of preferences, but I don't see the sequential numbers or an option to display them. Did I misunderstand?
My fault for not explaining better. If you turn off sorting the reference are listed in their sequential number order (i.e. their order in the database), from 1 to n. The number itself is not displayed, however.
That is a shame. But if the sequential numbers can be displayed, you still may yet save me from EN.
They are displayed in the reference window itself. Any if you really want to see the number in the list view, you can View Formatted with a format such as Ref with Abstract (or make your own) and have the sequential number shown there (the # symbol in the format will cause the sequential number to be displayed).

Jon
Sonny Software
g-smith3

Post by g-smith3 »

Thanks Jon; I'll give it a go. I really appreciate your time & help!

Greg