Losing comments after scanning Pages doc

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
DerangedChef

Losing comments after scanning Pages doc

Post by DerangedChef »

Hi community,
I am running into an issue with the "Scan Open Apple Pages document" function. This likely has to do with Scrivener, but it's not all clear to me.

Scrivener text has comments (attached to words in the text) and Bookend citation markers. After compiling a Word document with Scrivener, opening it with Apple Pages (let's call it version A). Then applying the Scan command mentioned above. In the resulting new document all comments and most of their attached words in the text have disappeared, sometimes replaced with a space. If the comment was in a table row, that whole row is gone. The bibliography has been processed correctly. This is a serious issue for me, as I have to have comments in order to interact with reviewers.

A freshly created Pages document with comments does not show this issue (let's call this version B). So it is likely connected to how Scrivener creates the comments. When comparing the contents of both version A and B in BBEdit, one can see that the files have a different structure.

But: When exporting Pages doc "A" into a .docx, then reopening the result again in Pages and storing a Pages file (= version C), the comparison shows that both B and C have the same file structure. Yet, bookend-scanning file C still creates the faulty result with missing comments and missing words. I cannot find a workaround.

Sigh. Any idea how to fix this? Maybe there is some deeper level issue with how comments are stored. On the surface, files look identical. I cannot make more sense of in in BBEdit, as data in Pages files seems to be encoded in some fashion, making them unreadable to the human eye.

Thanks for any tips.

Bookends 13.1.5, Pages 7.3, Scrivener 3.1.1
--
Stefan L. :roll:
NilsMS

Re: Losing comments after scanning Pages doc

Post by NilsMS »

I think it is a Scrivener problem. I regularly run into issues with preserving footnotes (another possibility or marking text chunks in Scrivener). My workflow now involves:
- compiling in Scrivener as .rtf or doc (does not make a difference)
- opening in OpenOffice and saving as doc.
- opening in Pages and save as docx
- opening in Mellel and compiling the bibliography

Otherwise, the footnotes either vanish or start at 1 at each page. But, as I said, it appears to be a problem originating in Scrivener.

Hope this helps.
DerangedChef

Re: Losing comments after scanning Pages doc

Post by DerangedChef »

Thanks much for the tip. I don't have Open Office installed, but I do have Mellel. I shall try your workaround workflow soon.
Too bad this is such a trail of steps. I will likely also contact Scrivener support to raise the issue.

Depending on how long this all takes, it might be almost easier to transfer comments manually, if they are not too many :(
--
Stefan L. :roll: