Search Problems for Authors with Spaces in their Surname

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
iandol

Search Problems for Authors with Spaces in their Surname

Post by iandol »

When I have an author like "de Vries, Saskia E J", or "von der Heydt, Rüdiger" — in macOS Bookends these names are handled well in search (i.e. "heydt" finds all papers from this author). But when doing an Author search in Bookends iOS no papers are returned. I can search for their co-authors who have single word surnames, but I can never find them.

I've tried the full surname (von der Heydt) or the main fragment (Heydt). I've tried using single and double or no quotation marks. I've also tried to use their first name (i.e. Rüdiger) which again works in macOS but fails on iOS. The only way for it to work is to use the first word of the surname (von) but it isn't specific enough and I get too many results. Can anyone reproduce this?
iandol

Re: Search Problems for Authors with Spaces in their Surname

Post by iandol »

This was driving me crazy over the weekend so I tried to completely uninstall and reinstall, but this search problem persisted. I also see this on my iPad and iPhone so I think this confirms this is a general problem and not just a glitch on my end. Could this be fixed?

Off topic, but while I'm here I really want to express my thanks to you guys on the iOS app, it is just wonderful to be able to look up refs and find PDFs from a pocket device!!! 8) 8) 8)
Serge

Post by Serge »

Currently please try to search for “von der Heydt,” with comma but without quotes. We will try to improve this in future versions of Bookends for iOS.
iandol

Post by iandol »

OK full surname with the comma, though not ideal, works! I hope you will be able to refine the search matching for future versions. Thank you!