Collaborative editing of Bookends library metadata? Best practices wanted.

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jodi

Collaborative editing of Bookends library metadata? Best practices wanted.

Post by jodi »

What are the best practices for collaborative editing of Bookends library metadata?

I'm a Sente refugee, still trying to find the best approaches for sharing the Bookends library metadata (I know that sharing attachments with anybody via file sync is straightforward). I understand that I can sync the library metadata with MYSELF using iCloud -- but I want to have a shared Bookends library for my research group, where any of us can edit the metadata.

I'd appreciate any workflows/best practices/advice!

-Jodi
DarrenIngram

Re: Collaborative editing of Bookends library metadata? Best practices wanted.

Post by DarrenIngram »

No idea, nor an immediate need, but if the developer could find a way that could be useful, even for me going forward,
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

One possible way may be to create a new Apple ID without a credit card, then share that between the group members. Then all can sync the same library via iCloud.

Jon
Sonny Software
iandol

Post by iandol »

Bookends server (p407 of the user guide) should allow a user to add or edit references, would that be enough? The main problem is you will need to build the HTML interface yourself to do comprehensive editing. But for someone who is HTML conversant, it would be straightforward to create...
jodi

Post by jodi »

Jon,

We've tried. Unfortunately, Apple does not allow a user to use multiple Apple IDs -- so anyone who has logged into their own Apple can't sync.

-Jodi
Jon wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:25 am One possible way may be to create a new Apple ID without a credit card, then share that between the group members. Then all can sync the same library via iCloud.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You can create an account but not provide a credit card. And use a different email address. How would they know it's you?

Jon
Sonny Software