Floating citations multiple refs

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
marcus

Floating citations multiple refs

Post by marcus »

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been answered, but I cannot find it in the archives or in the FAQ.

I'm currently using Scrivener to write a dissertation and am wondering what the easiest way to input multiple references into my manuscript using floating citations. For example, if I want to cite both Smith 2015 and Rogers 2017, do I cite one with the unique identifier, then delete the close bracket on the first citation } and the open bracket on the other and merge them with a semi-colon? (e.g. {Smith, 2015, #6755} & {Rogers, 2017, #4456}= {Smith, 2015, #6755; Rogers, 2017, #4456}.

With papers and paperpile, I could select all of the citations before actually inputting them into the manuscript. The software would also know, according to the style selected, which citation to put first, etc.

Am I missing a feature or a workflow, or do I have to input the multiple refs and manually connect them with semi colons (and also verify their correct order via the style guide)?

Thanks a bunch!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Floating citations multiple refs

Post by Jon »

You can do this in the library window -- select the refs you want and Copy Citation. They'll be inserted as a group. Floating Citations only selects one at a time (the same as in Papers, AFAICT), so you'd have to use the manual semicolon edit you describe if you want them in the same set of curly brackets. Note that for scanning, though, Bookends will consider temp citations that are back-to-back to be in the same group (no spaces between them are allowed). E.g. {temp cite1}{temp cite2}. You can do that with Floating Citations.

As for order in the group, that's determined when the reference is scanned. The format tells Bookends how to order them.

Jon
Sonny Software
RobForsyth

Post by RobForsyth »

Floating Citations only selects one at a time (the same as in Papers, AFAICT)
In fact Papers 3 (for sure, don't remember about previous versions) does allow selection of multiple citations in its equivalent of the floating window by command- or shift-clicking. I'm not sure what would be involved in bringing this functionality to Bookends but it would be nice to have...
DarrenIngram

Post by DarrenIngram »

Jon wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:23 am As for order in the group, that's determined when the reference is scanned. The format tells Bookends how to order them.
I didn't know that. I made a test in a new document with "Test text {Ryan et al., 2019, #73181} {Pйrez Guevara, 2017, #75655} {Mills, 2017, #48061} test text" and using the default APA 6th edition format that claims to Alphabetise references author, date, title

Does this mean that it should change the output to Mills, Pйrez Guevara and Ryan et al in the body text when scanned?

To date I've manually reordered the names in a multiple citation. Yet if I scan the foregoing I get:

Test text (Ryan, NicGhabhann, McMahon, & Chodi, 2019) (Pérez Guevara, 2017) (Mills, 2017) test text

Did I misunderstand what you wrote for something else, or is there a bug (either in the software, or the user's thoughts)? The bibliography produced at the end is correctly alphabetized.

Am I misunderstanding the intention behind Alphabetize references?

Darren

"
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Assuming you mean ordering of citations within a group...you have a space between the citations, so that are NOT grouped. Either remove the spaces, or enter them explicitly as in one group:

{temp cite1; temp cite2, temp cite3}

Alphabetize references is a separate setting that is NOT for rearranging the order in citation groups, but for the bibliography).

It's all in the user guide.

Jon
Sonny Software