two questions about bibtex: footcite and chinese characters

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
tinekedhaeseleer

two questions about bibtex: footcite and chinese characters

Post by tinekedhaeseleer »

Hi all,

Situation: writing in LaTeX, creating a bibliography in Bookends to export to bibtex, for building a bibliography in Chicago notes+bibliography style.

\footcite:
The "scan document" feature works, but doesn't pick up citations with the \footcite command. Any workarounds, other than giving up on footcite?

Chinese characters:
My western language references export nicely, but the Chinese characters turn into ??? question marks. I haven't tried Japanese or Korean yet but suspect it will be the same. What are some of the fixes you can think of? Is it something to do with the coding (unicode or other), and is there a fix that doesn't require me to fix each reference individually?

I would like to keep Bookends as my reference software, but the Chinese characters issue needs to be resolved.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: two questions about bibtex: footcite and chinese characters

Post by Jon »

Bookends will recognize the when it scans BibTeX: \footcite{

I don't see a problem with Chinese characters, whether the output style is set to BibTeX or UTF-8 (in Biblio -> Bibliography).

Jon
Sonny Software
tinekedhaeseleer

Ok, it seems to be something even before I go into export: in the reference pane and library window the Chinese/Korean shows up fine, but in the little formatted view window at the bottom there are ??? I have updated to the latest version.

I feel I have to move far outside my comfort zone to figure out what is going on and I guess it's not Bookends but something in the OS? Any suggestions where I can get started figuring out what's up?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please send me your library and tell be what reference to look at. And please send screen snaps of what you're doing and what is wrong.

Jon
Sonny Software
tinekedhaeseleer

You're all welcome to have a hearty laugh at this - I hadn't really had a need to look into this (not publishing anything with Chinese language materials), so it's only today I was looking at this again and I found the answer to the mystery:

Bookends Preferences > Scan and Bib > Output text as ... Styled Text, not BibTex. Problem solved.

(You're welcome.) I hope somebody else who accidentally puts this in the wrong setting stumbles across this post and is saved :mrgreen:

I'm probably one of those people who should stick with safe and boring options of pre-fab solutions and stay far, far away from LaTeX and anything related, but where's the fun in that?

Off to tame the next thing in LaTeX that has now cropped up. At least I know it's "user error" and not crap software with all this, that's somehow comforting to me.