How to use keyboard to jump back into Search Field on Floating Citations?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Cassady

How to use keyboard to jump back into Search Field on Floating Citations?

Post by Cassady »

Jon – is this possible?

Floating Citations remains a fantastic addition – it has completely spoilt me with regards to how quickly I can add references directly into my text, without having to jump in between apps, and lose the 'flow' of where I was at.

If the above is not possible, would it be very onerous to add this in?

It occasionally happens – certainly frequently enough for me to request this – that when I trigger the Floating Citation window again, after I have previously triggered a search and scrolled down to select a particular reference from many in the dropdown, that my "habit" of instantly starting with typing my next reference that I want to insert, has no effect.

This is due to the 'focus' in the Floating Citations window not being in the Search bar.
When it happens (and forgive the 1st world problem here), it's quite annoying, and forces me to stop and pause, to get the cursor back into it. Which means hands off the keyboard.

To be sure – it's not the BE's fault for the annoyance – it's just that I am so focused that the briefest of interruptions, has me get annoyed.
Did I mention that the Floating Citations' window has spoilt me? :D

Thing is – it doesn't happen each time. I have tried to see if I can reproduce it now, but I cannot.
And yet – it does – I am typing, and the focus is not in the search pane – and then I need to click into it.
Could something be added to allow focus to be "forced" into the Search Field? Like Shift-Cmd-up or something, only when the Floating Citation is in focus?

Of course – maybe I am the outlier, and this happens to nobody else?
Regardless, figured I would ask.
Last edited by Cassady on Sat May 11, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: How to use keyboard to jump back into Search Field on Floating Citations?

Post by Jon »

Possibly, I'd have to look into it more closely. I'll add it to the feature request list.

Jon
Sonny Software
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

Jon wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:31 am Possibly, I'd have to look into it more closely. I'll add it to the feature request list.

Jon
Sonny Software
Much appreciated Jon - thank you for giving it consideration.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I had forgotten that this function already exists -- if the floating citation window search field has lost the focus, press Tab to restore it.

Jon
Sonny Software
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

Jon wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:11 am I had forgotten that this function already exists -- if the floating citation window search field has lost the focus, press Tab to restore it.

Jon
Sonny Software
Ah! Perfect – thanks Jon!