Request: A second custom text

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
danzac

Request: A second custom text

Post by danzac »

There is an issue with the SBL format that I'm trying to resolve, and so thought I'd make the request.

The issue is that lexicons for the primary languages (Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic) contain thousands of entries: Too many to use linking. Bible Encyclopedias are the same. And after writing quite a number of papers, I have 40+ of these word entries from the same lexicon, and many more from encyclopedias. Currently I can use the meta types, as each of these items would receive a unique footnote, but only the lexicon or encyclopedia is placed in the bibliography.

What would in these cases be much better is being able to provide not only a cited page, but to provide some specific text with the "Copy Citation with Modifiers" that could be placed elsewhere in the custom format.

So that's my request. Thanks for considering.
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Request: A second custom text

Post by Jon »

You mean placed in the citation or the bibliography?

For citations you can already place arbitrary text at the beginning or the end.

Please provide an example of what you're after.

Jon
Sonny Software
danzac

Post by danzac »

Sure, here's the examples:

Footnote
Louw and Nida, “διακονέω,” LN 2:81.
Louw and Nida, “ὁράω,” LN 2:62.

Subsequent
LN 2:82.
LN 2:63.

Bibliography
Louw, Johannes P., and Eugene A. Nida. Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament: Based on Semantic Domains. 2 vols. New York: United Bible Societies, 1989.

In the case of the first footnotes, it is the Greek word in quotation marks that I would like to be able to supply.
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
danzac

Post by danzac »

If the "preceding text" could be placed elsewhere in a citation, perhaps by using a new special character, this would fix the issue.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Preceding and trailing text is common, placing arbitrary text in the middle is not.

You could use quoted text to get what you want. Except for the LN 2, all the text will already have be added ad hoc by you.

{temp cite\, “διακονέω,” LN 2:81\}

We don't provide a "follow with text" option in the Edit menu option (it's something we could possible add), but that can be typed in as above once the citation is in place.

Jon
Sonny Software