Issues with Autocomplete

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Deckerd

Issues with Autocomplete

Post by Deckerd »

I am experiencing a relatively new issue: when I select to "autocomplete" a newly imported paper, I am usually able to find the correct reference information using Google Scholar Search; however, when I select "import" all fields for the new attachment are empty (e.g., no title, author(s), journal, etc.). I hope I am not overlooking something obvious. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Issues with Autocomplete

Post by Jon »

I suspect GS thinks you're a robot.

https://www.sonnysoftware.com/faq/faq.h ... nical_Help

Jon
Sonny Software
Deckerd

Post by Deckerd »

Thank you for the quick reply; unfortunately, I have tried this approach, and I am still unable to populate any of the fields for recently imported articles. GS frequently considers me a robot, much more so recently, and I am not sure why. In any case, even if I successfully finish the "Captcha" routine when accessing GS through Bookends, and I am able to use Autocomplete and locate the correct reference for a new import, selecting import does not populate any of the fields with info...it's completely blank.

I have tried restarting bookends as well as my computer but to no avail. Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Tim
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

As the FAQ says, it can take up to 24 hr to restore importing from GS (searching is usually restored much more quickly). These restrictions are enforced by Google, there's nothing Bookends can do but submit the request and handle the response, if any.

There are other, better, sources, btw. While you're waiting, if the PDFs have DOIs, use CrossRef. JSTOR is a good general purpose source as well.

Jon
Sonny Software
Deckerd

Post by Deckerd »

yep, did that as well (i.e., waited up to 48 hours), but it still will not fill in the information when I hit import. I will try the JSTOR route though not all of my PDFs have DOI's, and Google Scholar usually finds info on obscure publications......

Scratch that. It is now working with Google Scholar. I guess I've never had to wait that long for it to start up again. Thanks for the help.

And one last edit: it's has stopped allowing me to import information again. It seems that I can get about 5-6 articles through Google Scholar via Bookends before I am blocked. I have to restart the process and wait another 24 hours (or sometimes longer?) before it starts working again. This issue only popped up on occasion on in the past, but now it is occurring way too frequently. Don't know if it is Google or me.