The Bookends Guide to the SBL format

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: The Bookends Guide to the SBL format

Post by Jon »

Those settings are in preferences. If you use cloud sync those settings will sync between computers. Note that you can't authenticate a new Mac at the moment because of problems with Apple CloudKit. But when that's resolved you'll be able to.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5021

Jon
Sonny Software
Adrian Petre

Post by Adrian Petre »

Thank you. So, I’ll have to wait for a fix. Now, a more punctual question: In a reference, in the Edition field for a book, I have the word “rev.”. Now, in the footnote, “rev.” is fine. But in the bibliography list, I need to have “Rev.” (capital “R”). Can this be done?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Citations (footnotes) and bibliographies are configured separately, so set the case the way you want it for each. Please read the section in the User Guide on how to create and edit formats, it has all the information you need.

Jon
Sonny Software
Adrian Petre

Post by Adrian Petre »

Ok. I re-read the mentioned sections. Nevertheless, I cannot find what I want. The issue is this: I have a reference type called BOOK. I format the citation option like this:
a, t ~, ed. ~e | ~, trans. ~u3* ~, ~u2~ ed.~ ~, ~u13~ vols.~|~ ~ |~, ~j v` (`{u11;$ repr., $} |~; ~, l: u, d`)`
This results in
Gerhard von Rad, Genesis: A Commentary, trans. John H. Marks, rev. ed., The Old Testament Library (Philadelphia: Westminster, 1972)
This is fine. Now, for the bibliography, I have the following:
a. t. $Edited by $e. $ Translated by $u3*. u2$ ed. $ u13$ vols. $ ~. ~ j {v.^$. $} u11~. Repr.,~ l: u, d`.`
The result is fine, except for rev. which should start with a capital letter:
Rad, Gerhard von. Genesis: A Commentary. Translated by John H. Marks. rev. ed. The Old Testament Library. Philadelphia: Westminster, 1972.
The rev. word in the bibliography needs to be Rev. Now, in the field Edition from the Book reference type, the text entered is rev. The question is this: How can I change the capitalize the R of rev. in the bibliography and keep it in lower case in the citation, and also see just one entry for the Edition field in the Book reference? Is there any way to put a condition in the code, like If Field text = 'rev.' then 'Rev.'?

Thank you for your help. I am working on an SBL2 format which is almost ready. But I keep encountering these minor issues.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If the Rev is in the reference itself of course Bookends won't output it any differently. The Rev/ref should be in the format. E.g.

$Rev ed.$

or

$rev ed.$

The documentation explains the use of $ and how to output literal text.

And you can control if that text is output at all by placing in in a conditional group. For example to output it only if the edition field has content.

If you need more followup please take this off forum and contact tech support directly.

Jon
Sonny Software
Adrian Petre

Post by Adrian Petre »

Thank you. I will contact the support team.

Keep up the great job!
Adrian Petre

Post by Adrian Petre »

Dear all,

Attached is a working format for the SBL Handbook of Style, 2nd ed. (hereafter SBLHS2). Any improvements are most welcomed. This covers the following sections from SBLHS2: 6.2.1–6.2.25 (excepting 6.2.5; 6.2.14; 6.2.22; 6.2.23) and sections 6.3.1–6.3.10 (except 6.3.7). You just need to copy the file to ~/Library⁩/⁨Application Support⁩/⁨Bookends⁩/⁨Custom Formats⁩. Make sure you have the latest version of Bookends.

Several details regarding the reference types. Follow the steps to customize the format:
  • Journal
    Given that the common setting before pages is comma, you need to overwrite that. Include \\ before the page(s) when you create a temporary citation with modifiers (e.g. {temp_citation@\\32}) so that it may appear correctly (e.g. Journal_name 21.1 (2019): 32). This is necessary only for the first citation.
  • Volume in Multivolume Work
    1. Rename the “Unused6” reference type into “Volume in Multivolume Work”. Go to Bookends Preferences > Refs > Reference Types, select “Unused6”
    2. Rename the field label “Journal” into “Multivolume Title”
    3. Rename the field label “User1” into “Multivolume Editor”
    4. Rename the field label “User2” into “Edition”
    5. Rename the field label “User3” into “Translator”
  • Article in Encycl./Dict.
    1. Rename the “Unused” reference type into “Article in Encycl./Dict.” Go to Bookends Preferences > Refs > Reference Types, select “Unused”
    2. Rename the field “Journal” into “Encycl./Dict.”
    If you have a volume number, you need to include \\ before the page(s) when you create a temorary citation with modifiers (e.g. {temp_citation@\\32}) so that it may appear correcty (e.g. IBD 1:32).
  • Article in Lexicon/Th. Dict.
    1. Rename the “Unused2” reference type into “Article in Lexicon/Th. Dict.” Go to Bookends Preferences > Refs > Reference Types, select “Unused2”
    2. Rename the field “Journal” into “Lexicon/Th. Dict.”
    For bibliography, you need to link this article with the book itself, which is introduced as a separate reference. For this, you have to go to Bookends > Preferences > Links, and create a Parent called “Lexicon/Th. Dict.” and a child called “Article”. Then you need to link your articles (children) to the book (parent). See the Bookends User Guide for that. This will allow you to have various signed entries in the footnotes, and the Lexicon/Theological Dictionary cited only once in the bibliography.
    Use \\ if needed. See above.
Attachments
SBLHS2.fmt.zip
(3.36 KiB) Downloaded 3518 times
Adrian Petre

Post by Adrian Petre »

Dear all,

I have updated the previous SBLHS2 format for Bookends. Below you will find the changes. You can either replace the old format file with the attached one, or you can copy the code directly into the respective styles:
  1. Added a new reference type (chapter within titled volume in multivolume work):

Citation:

Code: Select all

a, “t,” $in $v, ~, ed. ~e | ~, trans. ~u3* ~, ~u2~ ed.~ ~, vol. ~u14 ~ of ~j ~, ed. ~u1 ` (`{u11;$ repr., $} |~; ~, l: u, d`)`, p–
    Bibliography:

a. “t.” $Pages $p– $ in $v. $Edited by $e. $ Translated by $u3*. u2*$ ed. $ $ Vol. $u14 ~ of ~j. $Edited by $u1. u11~. Repr.,~ l: u, d`.`
  2. Corrected: series number now appears in the reference:

Citation:

a, “t,” $in $v, ~, ed. ~e | ~, trans. ~u3* ~, ~u2~ ed.~ ~, ~u13~ vols.~|~ ~ |~, ~j u14 ` (`{u11;$ repr., $} |~; ~, l: u, d`)`, p–
  3. Corrected (comma after title if not followed by multivolume editor) in chapter within titled volume in multivolume work:

Citation

a, “t,” $in $v, ~, ed. ~e | ~, trans. ~u3* ~, ~u2~ ed.~ ~, vol. ~u14 ~ of ~j ~, ed. ~u1 ` (`{u11;$ repr., $} |~; ~, l: u, d`)`, p–
  4. New reference type: Introduction, Preface, or Foreword:

Bibliography:

a. u1* ~ to~t, $by $e. $ Translated by $u3*. u2*$ ed. $ u13$ vols. $ {j.^$. $} u14~. ~ u11~. Repr.,~ l: u, d`.`
    Citation:

a, u1~ to ~ t, $by $e, ~, trans. ~u3* ~, ~u2~ ed.~ ~, ~u13~ vols.~|~ ~ |~, ~j u14 ` (`{u11;$ repr., $} |~; ~, l: u, d`)`, p– 
  5. New reference type: Chapter in Multivolume Work:

Bibliography:

a. “t.” $Pages $p– $ in vol. $v ~, part ~u1~ of~ f. $Edited by $e. $ Translated by $u3*. u2*$ ed. $ u11~. Repr.,~ l: u, d`.`
    Citation:

a, “t,” $in $f, ~, ed. ~e | ~, trans. ~u3* ~, ~u2~ ed.~ ` (`{u11;$ repr., $} |~; ~, l: u, d`)`, v|~.~u1`:`p–
  6. Correction for subsequent citation article in Encyclopedia/Dictionary:

a, “t,” {v:^$ $}@
  7. Correction for volume in multivolume work (u1 as name [use of * after u1]):

Citation:

a, e$, ed++.,$ t, ~vol. ~v ~of ~f ~, ed. ~u1* ~, trans. ~u3* ~, ~u2~ ed.~ `(`{u11;$ repr., $} |~; ~, l: u, d`)`
    Bibliography:

a. e$, ed++.$ t. ~Vol. ~v ~of ~f ~. Edited by ~u1. ~. Translated by ~u3. u2*~ ed.~ {`.` u11.$ Repr., $} |~; ~ l: u, d`.`
  8. Corrected citation for Journal (space after DOI)

Citation:

a, “t,” j v$.$i` `(d): @{$, doi: $u17$, $z^, $doi: $u17^$, $z}
  9. Corrected: replaced dash with en-dash for article in encycl./dict.:

Bibliography:

a. “t.” j {v:^$, $}p–.
Attachments
SBLHS2.fmt.zip
(3.81 KiB) Downloaded 3459 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If you're using cloud sync the reference types and labels are synced.

Jon
Sonny Software
abusch

Post by abusch »

Jon wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:36 am Dropbox no longer allows direct links. Try this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8x4ubmf2gqghc ... n.zip?dl=0

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. I'll upload to the FTP site, too.
Hi Jon,

what is the format that this file is in? It unzips without an extension, and does not seem to be pdf or doc...

Any help?

Thanks!

Andreas
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The extension is

.fmt

I should upload that.

Jon
Sonny Software
abusch

Post by abusch »

Jon wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:01 pm The extension is

.fmt

I should upload that.

Jon
Sonny Software
Hmm - somewhat puzzled. Another format file? How would I open it?

I was expecting some sort of document giving information about the format used...

Best,

Andreas
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

No, it *is* the format. Double click to have Bookends install it in the Custom Formats folder (I'm assuming you don't already have it). It can then be used like any format.

Jon
Sonny Software
Nhaps

Post by Nhaps »

For those working with BibLaTeX, the second edition of the SBL style is updated and well maintained by David Purton on GitHub.

https://github.com/dcpurton/biblatex-sbl

This means you would use BE to build the Bib file only with Format Manager. All the rest is compiled automatically in LaTeX.
Nhaps

Post by Nhaps »

Nhaps wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:16 pm For those working with BibLaTeX, the second edition of the SBL style is updated and well maintained by David Purton on GitHub.

https://github.com/dcpurton/biblatex-sbl

This means you would use BE only to build the Bib file with Format Manager. All the rest is compiled automatically in LaTeX. No more scanning files.