Word / Scrivener integration with Bookends

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
larilela

Word / Scrivener integration with Bookends

Post by larilela »

Does anyone have suggestions for a workflow integrating Bookends with WYSIWYG word processors, specifically Microsoft Word and Scrivener. My default text processor will be TexPad or Scrivener , but I also have to use Word for one project, so Bookends needs to be easily accessible there, too.

The "typical use of Microsoft Word and Bookends" , as described in the user guide, seems pretty cumbersome to me, since there are multiple steps involved (In Word: copy name of author, go to applescripts menu, click "Find in Bookends", then, once I've identified the item in Bookends, go to "Edit" menu, click "copy citation", manually return to Word and then it appears automatically only if Word is set as default text processor. Otherwise I need to manually return to Word, again go to the applescripts menu, click on "Insert citation". The only alternative to this lengthy procedure seems to be: bringing Bookends to the front, searching for the reference there, drag and dropping it into Word.)

Isn't there an easier way than that — or am I missing something? With my previous bibliography managers there always used to be a toolbar (add-on) for Word, which allowed me to search for a citation from WITHIN the text editor (without switching to bibliography manager), and adding that reference in basically 2 steps (type in name, hit enter). Can anyone suggest ways of automating Booends/words so it approximates this procedure?

I haven't fiddled around with Scrivener but would be grateful for advice there, too, since I'll also work with Bookends in Scrivener (and want to output to PDF via LaTeX).
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Word / Scrivener integration with Bookends

Post by Jon »

You're making it more cumbersome than it needs to be. Nevertheless, have you tried floating citations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYVBsbj ... e=youtu.be

Jon
Sonny Software
larilela

Post by larilela »

Thank you, this is pretty much what I was looking for ( but couldn't immediately find in the user guide) .

However in neither textEdit nor Word the keyboard shortcuts (cmd-y, cmd-ctrl-y, etc.) seem to work. Do you happen to know why? Also the drag-and-drop feature doesn't work very smoothly ; in 80% of the cases the floating citations window is moved around when I try to drag and drop...
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If you're running Mojave Bookends probably wasn't given permission to talk to them. Go to System Preferences, Privacy tab, and make sure they can interact.

As for dragging...I'm seeing this now, too. I'll look into it.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The problem with the row drag in the floating citations window has been fixed for the next update.

Jon
Sonny Software
iandol

Post by iandol »

Some general advice not specific to Bookends: you can get fully compliant Word and LaTeX output simultaneously from Scrivener if you use one of the Markdown/Pandoc workflows. Pandoc also contains a full bibliography formatter (using CSL files), so you do not need to manually scan documents after compiling them. See my signature for one possible way to do this (using Scrivener 3 styles).
Holger

Post by Holger »

Hi,

for a long time I have finally come to write again. Now I have the problem that neither floating citations nor cmd-y works to insert quotations into scriveners. There is jumping back and forth between the programs, but without result. In the past this worked fine. Both programs are set to each other and I didn't change anything. The applications run on Mac OS 10.15.1.

Where exactly can I set in the System Preferences that the two applications interact with each other? Maybe I unknowingly denied this once - can I change it again?

Thank you very much for your help
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

System Preferences -> Privacy. Make sure Bookends is allowed to talk to Scrivener (and the Finder, if listed there).

Jon
Sonny Software
Holger

Post by Holger »

Thanks a lot, but neither bookends nor scrivener is listed under System Preferences/Automation. Also I can't add (or remove) anything.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Also look at Accessibility. If that doesn't work, you may have to reset permissions in Terminal (please google for that).

Also, know that you can insert temp citations by drag and drop.

Jon
Sonny Software
Holger

Post by Holger »

Hey there, thanks! A permissions reset and a reinstall did the trick! :D