detach attachments

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
xoanohn

detach attachments

Post by xoanohn »

I have some corrupted pdfs, so on the attachment sidebar, I click on the right mouse button and click detach and then drag and drop a new file.

What happened to the detached file? Is it erased?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: detach attachments

Post by Jon »

No, it's not touched. Bookends just removes it's name from the database record of the reference.

Jon
Sonny Software
xoanohn

Post by xoanohn »

Is there a easy way to find these orphaned attachments? Since I detached them, they should still be in the attachments folder. Right?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes, they should be. But you can't find them via Bookends. Bookends no longer knows about them.

Jon
Sonny Software
xoanohn

Post by xoanohn »

So how do I know which ones are the detached ones? Is there a way to generate a list of all attached files?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You click on the Attachments group, mark all the references in it, and use a format that just outputs attachments to make a "bibliography". It will contain the names of all attachments.

But except for neatness, it really doesn't matter if there are PDFs in the default folder that aren't attached to a reference any longer. Bookends ignores them.

Jon
Sonny Software
xoanohn

Post by xoanohn »

Thanks - I am trying to delete unnecessary files.